Cohabitation visa for Schengen

Guys,

Seeing the huge and sometimes stupid administration needed to get your GF or wife to your country, let me tell you that it looks easier dealing with the Belgium embassy in BKK.

Last year january we decided for my GF to come to visit me and she applied for a tourist visa.

You can ask for 30, 60 or a maximum of 90 days. 90 days maximum twice a year.

We did not know that BKK decides upto 30 days, more and Brussels decides on the visa, but we were greedy and went for the 90 days.

Required documents were proof of domiciliation from me, proof of support (copy of tax income and salary slips) and most important a signed document that I would pay ALL her charges here, even repatriation if needed.

We also took health insurance for her, just in case.

She had to submit papers from work that she obtained 3 months leave and had work when she returned, nothing else.

Yes, passport and booking of ticket.

She submitted the application, no questions asked, got a ref number, and that was it.

File is sent to Brussels, and I could trace each step per internet using that ref no, just great.

I called once, and all went smoothly, 5 weeks later she was called to pick up her visa.

She came 1 more time last year on a 30 day visa, that took 2 days at the embassy to issue.

This year she came another 3 months, again it took her 2 days to obtain the visa, as Brussels did approve the first one, no need to get further approvals.

Today, she applied for a cohabitation visa.

That is a 6-month visa to live here together in Belgium, extendable locally here for 5 years, after which - still living together she can apply for citizenship.

This visa application is more complex - of course - and it took her 3 weeks to get all docs.

From my side I gave her the same usual papers as before, but also proof of relation, copy of passport to show 7 trips in last 2 years, pics, letters.....

From her side, a policedocument (that one took 3 weeks), a certificate of health, diplomas, passport, namechanges if any, divorced if it is the case, children, translations, certification bla bla, the whole set is now complete.

The file gets a reference number, and is sent - with a positive endorsment (!!!) from the consul - to Brussels for approval.

There again, I can follow each step of the proceduce per internet, will take 4 to 16 weeks, estimated 4 - 6 weeks in our case.

Once approved, she gets a call to pick up her passport, then to a travelagent for a 1-way ticket and hop ! she flies home......

Hope this is helpfull.

BB

documented

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

one thing though, very important!

it is advisable that you pick her up in person from bangkok. that visa is granted not very often, and when me and the missus had it once, the airline did not want to let her on the plane at first as they did not recognise that visa. after initial polite explanations the situation deteriorated into a shouting match (me threatening legal action etc.), which then was sorted out with the supervisor that i had to sign a statement that in case germany refused entry to the missus i will take over all costs. and that was happening even though i have anticipated such a problem and called up the airline before about that situation with the visa.

and that was long before 9/11. it might be worse now. be warned.

Fly,

Thanks for the warning.

But that visa is similar to a re-unification visa, suffice to have a 1-way ticket.

I understand this type of visa is quite popular now, so I am not worried.

Cheapest ticket sofar is Turkish Airlines, doubt they will make a fuss :p

BB

one way ticket was not the problem. the problem was that the check in staff here in don muang simply refused to recognise that visa, accusing us of having a fake visa. we flew with olymic air, the last airline which allowed smoking on europe flights.

dunno, but i sometimes get the feeling that check in staff (and immigration people, and tax officers, etc.) are worldwide professional arseholes.

compared to them me and the missus are just amateurs. ::

no reason to stop smoking, helps me to deal with them shitheads. ::

When my wife had a US Advance Parole document, we almost had a similar problem once or twice, some of the people at Don Muang did not understand what that paper is. Never got quite as far as your problem did, though (thankfully).

Hi BB,

thanks for the info.

I haven´t heard that they issue this visa in any other schengen country. I was last year looking into it, and according to the visa officer at the German Embassy in BKK it does not exist for germany, nor does it for Ireland.

He knew only of belgium, who issued this visa.

Do you know anything about that ? Is your gf entitled to work with that visa ?

Cheers,

Dsab

Archived