Cohabitation visa for Schengen

it is available in germany, but rarely granted, if you don't have some clout.

we had it about 6 years ago, when we went to pick it up after a month or two the embassy people were very surprised, they said it was only the second in that year to go through.

it has to be decided in germany. the embassy sends the information to the relevant "einwanderungsbehoerde".

it is not a schengen visa, and does not entitle one to travel beyond germany.

the stamp in the passport entitles one to cross into germany, and within the first week one has to go to the "einwanderungsbehoerde" for an interview (just a formality) to receive the final visa.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

dsab,

Ok, more details on how this works.......

Belgium has this visa since 3-4 years, absolutely no idea on the other Schengen countries to be honest.

I do believe Holland does issue the same type of visa, soongmak could enlighten you there.....

It is decided in Brussels, once issued it is valid for travel in all Schengen countries, once here, she needs to register with city hall and will obtain a local temporary ID card.

With this card she will get all Belgian facilities, work is allowed, taxes to be paid, health insurance, etc.....

When she was here on a tourist visa, she was allowed to drive with her international drivers licence, once registered here, she will need to apply for a local one, for which she will have to study Dutch first :p

Hope this helps, but in your case it might be easier to marry her.

BB

• 3 months later...

In Sweden they call this 'Residence permit by reason of family ties' as can be seen here:

http://www.migrationsverket.se/english/efamilj/eanknyt.html

Basically it's given to gf/wife/relatives of residents & I may try to get one myself for my TGF if only the wait wasn't so long...

Not so uncommon at all as last year more than 2000 thai persons got it as detailed here:

http://www.migrationsverket.se/pdffiler/statistik/tabe4.pdf

Length of permit can be anything from 6-12 months(for new relationships) to permanent for established marriages & as BB said work & other rights included ;)

However free travel within schengen countries is only valid the first 3 months while the permit can be easily extended untill 2 years where if still together it will turn permanent ;)

Anyone tried the Au-pair work/residence permit, which apparently can be gotten within 1 month & valid for 1 year(extendable)?

http://www.migrationsverket.se/english/eat/eataupair.html

Not sure if it's wisest to pretend to be the host family yourself or to get a friend to do it though?

The part about mandatory swedish course is a bitch as I'd prefer it to be danish! ::

Hi Ib,

tourist visa - no more problem getting 3 months than 14 days. The insurance cost is 3000 baht. It's not possible any more to get the tourist visa extended (if you want it extended you must ask for a residence permit).

If a person has a residence permit (permanent or not) I think it's allowed to travel inside the Schengen area not just the 3 first month.

Au pair visa is not extendable, but in one case was directly transformed into a residence permit - the interview was in Sweden instead of the normal Bangkok. PM me for more info!

Showing paper from a school that the person will study swedish is mandatory. They don't check this but if you want to have a residence permit it's important to show she learned some swedish at least.

elef

Hi!

tourist visa - no more problem getting 3 months than 14 days. The insurance cost is 3000 baht. It's not possible any more to get the tourist visa extended (if you want it extended you must ask for a residence permit).

Does this apply to Sweden or Denmark. I was under the impression that a tourist visa could be extended for three extra months. I was also under the impression that a residence permit can not be applied for in Sweden but must be applied for in the applicant home country. If the rules have changed then when did this happen.

regards

ALHOLK

Guys,

Rules for Schengen tourist visas are quite simple....... a person can stay here only for 6 months maximum per year and for 3 months maximum at the time.

Hence, once your GF gets her 3 month visa, she comes here, leaves after 3 months, and can re-apply for another 3 month stay here after being in LOS again for 3 months.

Thus 3 months here, 3 months LOS, etc....

BB

Hi Alholk,

1st of july the rules for all Schengen countries were changed!

How long is a visa valid?

A visa is temporary and is valid until the date printed on the permit sticker in your passport. You can obtain a visa for up to three out of every six months. The time starts from the date on which you first enter Sweden. This means that you cannot be granted a new visa for the Schengen area until three months have passed since you left it. You can also obtain a visa to pass through Sweden for a certain amount of time. The number of times that you can travel within the Schengen area while the visa is in effect will also be printed on your permit sticker.

web page

Exactly as BB wrote.

elef

My wife got her turist visa extended for another 3 month, just a stamp and a 1000 SEK in a local migrationverkets office (total 6 month) and after that we now apply for a resident permit (form 114021) from Sweden so she will not go back to bkk embassy to apply for the full visa, dont want her to wait another year in bkk doing nothing since she already stop her job and gave up her apartment etc.

Archived