Passed first time!

Long Gun

Yes, after 8 years I have finally obtained my 1st Thai driving licence. Given that my UK one took me 3 tries, 25 years ago, I was quite pleased with myself. Gruelling stuff! I was taken into a room where about 15 Thais were sitting at desks doing the written test and lead to the corner where there was a poster on the wall made up of lots of coloured circles. My examiner stood next to it and pointed at one of the circles. "What colour is this?" he enquired. Well, the pressure was on but 4 circles later, it was all over. B105 in cash and the licence was mine. Good price, especially considering I had to pay the Embassy B1300 for a 'certificate of residence' and the doctor B300 for a copy of a medical certificate I got for a work permit a week earlier!

One amusing moment came when I went to the photographic section for my mugshots (an outside job, in among the noodle shops in the carpark). Walked in and sat in the booth and was surprised to see that there was no front on it when up popped this old girl with a Polaroid camera and the deed was done!

Now all I need is a car ......

LG

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi LG,

a thai girl (friend of mine) went to driving school in BKK some years ago. She was not so good and she got tired, so one day she went to a police friend who in exchange for 300 baht gave her her driving license - without testing or medical certificate. laugh.gif" border="0

After that she went to her driving school showing it - the man almost fainted. cool.gif" border="0

elef crazy.gif" border="0

PS Congratulations! My TGF never allows me to drive in LOS, but instead I'm driving in Europe. tongue.gif" border="0

[ August 23, 2001: Message edited by: elef ]

I'm interested to know if the Thai driving test, written part of course' is conducted in Thai only or can it be taken in English?

When I first met my wife I was living on Samui, all set up, nice house, car, etc. She came to stay with me and suggested I help her learn to drive. I reluctantly agreed when she explained that she already had a driving liucence but just needed some practice. How did you get the licence? I asked. She replied that she went to the local licencing office in her town and asked the guy for a licence. He wanted to see evidence that she could drive so they get in his pick up at which she exclaims 'oh no, I only drive automatic car not manual'. No prob says the official, you work the pedals and I'll work the stick shocked.gif" border="0 . she got her licence. Fortunately she does have some natural ability in a vehicle and is a surprisingly good driver. Later, after I had moved to BKK she said it might be a good idea if she learnt to handle a manual/stick shift. She went to a school, around Ekkamai I think, and gets some lessons with a guy in a clapped out Honda. Some of the instructors comments which she later told me about.

1. Always stick to the middle lane, too many buses in the left lane and only fast cars in the right lane.

2. Never ever use the horn, might scare people.

3. You only need to use the mirrors for reversing.

There were a few more that I forget now.

Best bit though was at night when we lay in bed she would show me how good she was getting at changing gears.

M.

After I'd let my Thai lisence expire for a couple f years I was required to do the written test for teh first time ever (after 3 previous lisences).

The test was given to me in English although the answers were in Thai. This didn't matter as they had filled in all the answers for me except about 4 which I assume they didn't know the answer to.

One of them was 'at a junction with no lights, which vehicle has right of way?' Now having driven here for 6 years I know that no Thai knows the answer to that one.

quote:

Originally posted by Long Gun:

Yes, after 8 years I have finally obtained my 1st Thai driving licence. Given that my UK one took me 3 tries, 25 years ago, I was quite pleased with myself. Gruelling stuff! I was taken into a room where about 15 Thais were sitting at desks doing the written test and lead to the corner where there was a poster on the wall made up of lots of coloured circles. My examiner stood next to it and pointed at one of the circles. "What colour is this?" he enquired. Well, the pressure was on but 4 circles later, it was all over. B105 in cash and the licence was mine. Good price, especially considering I had to pay the Embassy B1300 for a 'certificate of residence' and the doctor B300 for a copy of a medical certificate I got for a work permit a week earlier!

So getting the license involves:

1) certificate of residence

2) a copy of the medical I took for my work permit

3) a color blindness test

It that pretty much all? One of my eyes has poor vision but in the US you just need 20/40 in one eye to pass. Did they test your eyesight too? If so then I'll have to get my glasses sent over from the US.

Cheers!

quote:

Originally posted by Crash999:

So getting the license involves:

1) certificate of residence

2) a copy of the medical I took for my work permit

3) a color blindness test

I think they can ask you to take an eye test and, if it's your first test, the written test is also a possibility. I think there is an all-English version but the previous post makes me wonder about that. The colour test was almost an eye test as well in that we had to stand a reasonable distance from the poster. It wasn't like a proper colour blindness test where you have to pick out a number or a letter, simply identifying the colour of one of the circles, so your weakness shouldn't be a problem (though should you be driving without your glasses/lenses anyway?).

If you have a UK/US/whatever licence, you don't have to do a practical, just the written test, if that. I think we avoided it because I was with a small group from work and our Thai staff were handling all the paperwork.

Good luck!!

LG

The Thai driving test was a bit daunting for me also, that colour test had me thinking for a while.....'do I just say the basic colours or do they want finer details on the shades......Mars Red, Spring Meadow Green, Buttercup Yellow with a hint of finger smudge, Morning After Red Eye'.

I was relieved when I wasn't asked any questions about the Highway Code [if it exists here?!?].....What is the procedure you should follow after an accident, give variations to your answers if (a) you have been drinking (B) you don't have 500THB tea money on you © you are the son of a prominent/powerful official

Did they test your eyesight too? If so then I'll have to get my glasses sent over from the US.

Cheers![/QB]

Why not just spend the couple of thousand Baht it'll cost you to have them sent on a new pair here in LOS?

I just got both my car and motorcycle license in Bangkok. I tried to buy myself one but supposedly they are cracking down at the Thai DMV. The car license cost 105 baht and I think the motorcycle one was 85 baht. I did have to pay 1500 for a residence certificate from my embassy (theives) and found a doctor who charged me 30 baht for a medical. I needed two, one for each licence. They gave me an eye test and a colour test and made me sit through a three hour lecture and video, all in Thai. After that I had to take two written tests but they were easy, they had given me an English booklet to study from and the tests were all in English. In the afternoon I had to take the actual driving tests which were ridiculously easy and that was that. I did all this with no license from my home country and the whole process really wasn't as difficult as I had expected.

Remember you need a non-immigrant visa to get a Thai license a tourist visa won't cut it. Also, if you have a drivers licence from you home country I think all you need is the certificate from your embassy, the medical certificate and to take the eye tests. BTW they would not issue me an international drivers permit because when you get your first license it is only a one-year temporary one.

FYI The speed limit on unposted streets in Bangkok is 80Km per hour. Now I know why people drive so fast!

My tg/f bought her first car last year. I asked her if she had taken a test for her licence. 'Sure' she said, 'They test I not mad!'. that was it, no sight test, no formal test of any kind. (What seams ironic to me is you pretty much have to be mad to want to drive in BK anyway).

She's never had an accident though. (Seen thousands!).

Archived