Passed first time!

Long Gun

quote:

Crash--

Can you walk me thru that process too??

--UPSer

Sure, bro... Just let me know when you're in town next. What you'll need to get first is the following:

- Medical certificate from anywhere- go into any doctor's office and tell them that you need to get a medical for a Thai driver's license. If the doc does much more than ask you how you feel, I'd be surprised.

- Affidavid of residency from the US embassy- Head to the embassy with your passport and ask for the form for a Thai driver's license. It'll cost you US$55 and they'll ask you to hold up your hand and swear that you live at the Thai address you listed.

- Xeroxed and signed copies of your passport photo page and the page with your non-immigrant visa (note that you'll need one but it's very easy to apply for before arriving here) as well as your US license

- 1" x 1" photos, though there is a place outside to get it done for cheap

The place closes during lunch and there's a bit of a rush at 1pm because of the people who showed up between 12 and 1.

Cheers and check your mail...

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just a few things to add:

I finished my license at the Dept of Land Transportation (LTO) office, across from Chatuchak Weekend market.

This information is only good if you have a valid drivers license already.

The actual drivers license building is inside the LTO complex, on the right side. Asked for the "bai khop kee" or Drivers license area. 2nd floor.

Photocopy machines and photographers were located on the same floor.

The whole process took about 10 minutes, then wait for an hour to get the finished license.

Actually, the whole process is amazingly simple and effective with the exception that no signs or forms are in English.

Just be prepared with all the correct documents and it is a step by step process.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

All-

I thought I'd share with you my experience of getting my Thai DL...

I had all my papers (Medical Cert/Residence Cert/Non-Imm Visa/Photos) all ready and I went to the office next to Diethlem Trading...

My first impression was that there was not ONE single word written in english... I was in for a real 'experience'.. Good thing I went at noon!

I asked the lady at the 'reception' for help. She said to me "You no speak Thai, yes?" I replied, "nit noy krap"... She began to laugh and pulled out some forms. She had me sign on a bunch of lines and she took all of my copies and began to sort and staple them into some odd order...

In five minutes she said to me "you go window 3 now please".. I went to window 3 where another lady said "You talk only engish yes?".. "Chai krap"... She did some more paper shuffling and stamping... The she says to me " You go up three floor, you look, you test. Understand?" I reply "Cow jai krap"

Walking upstairs to the third floor I am beginnig to think to myself that this may not really be all that hard afterall... WRONG!

On the third floor I go to the window and show my papers to the (very obviously gay) guy... He says to me "You come in office here now please"... I enter the office to find that it is a classroom like setting.. Obviously this is the testing room...

He says to me, "You test now ok?" I reply "Pom phud pasa thai nit noy krap".. He says to me "oh, wait moment please" He comes back with the form in one hand (all written in thai script) and says to me "You drive America yes?" I reply "Chai krap" He says "You drive good? yes?" I reply "Chai krap"... He asks "You no problem. Yes?" I reply "Chai, no problem krap"..

He them looks at me and looks down at the form and draws a large black line right down the center of the form.. He looks up at me and says "test ok for you now." I reply "Kap khun krap"

Then he points to a color chart on the wall... It has a bunch of multi-colord blobs (a color blindness chart test). He asks me "You see colors. Yes?" I reply nicely "Chai krap".. He says "good"

He again draws a line down the center of yet another form.. A few seconds later he hands me back all of my original forms and says "Go down, you pay please".. "Kap khun Krap"... I go back down stairs.

I pay at window 13... Then I go to window 13 and give the packets of papers to the clerk.. She says "you sit please. wait. I call you later"...

I wait for 30 minutes...

The lady comes out from the office and points to two blue cards and makes the motion for me to sign my name... I sign both cards... She smiles and goes back into the office...

Waiting another 15 minutes...

She comes out again and has two cards in her hand. She give them to me and says "Thank you for wait."..

I ask "Why I get two cards from you?" She looks at me puzzeled and says "You drive car and moto-ci yes?"

I'm thinking to myself WHAT?? Are you KIDDING? A moto-ci??? In Bangkok? My US license that I showed them isn't valid for motorcycyle either....

I reply "Chai. I drive car and moto-ci. Thank you!"

With that I am done and a fully examined and qualified Thai driver of BOTH cars and Motorcycles... Total time 2hrs 10minutes.

PS: I leave in a TAXI! too afraid to drive myself.

--UPSer laugh.gif" border="0laugh.gif" border="0

PS: A personal Thanks to CRASH for all his help!

[ October 08, 2001: Message edited by: UPSer ]

Archived