Passed first time!

Long Gun

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To All--

What do you need to bring or provide to your Embassy (in my case- US Embassy) to obtain a residence certificate..

How long does it take to get the certificate?

Thanks!

--UPSer smile.gif" border="0

UPSer,

> How long does it take to get the certificate?

In the case of the UK Embassy, the form was filled in , money paid and certificate (?) collected 2 working days later. They might have been able to do it quicker but I was not in any real rush so I didn't try for a quicker turnaround.

UPS'er,

The US Embassy (actually the American Citizen Services Center) will do the residency permit while you wait.

1. USD 55.00

2. Don't need any documents at all, just your passport.

3. There is a form to fill out, then sign in front of the Consular Officer.

Note that depending on what address you declare as your residence will determine which Motor Vehical office you must go to for the drivers license.

The Canadian Embassy charged quite a bit but it only took about 5 minutes. I didn't show anything to them but my passport. I wasn't even living in Thailand (I used my friends address) I just wanted to get a license so I got a class O visa before coming over.

Devious eh?

Well I went ahead and got my license too... The worst part was all the running around collecting paperwork. I got the affidavid from the embassy very quickly, got an ancient MD to listen to my heart and pronounce me fit to drive, xeroxed my passport and headed on down.

The Sukhumvit location is between Soi 99 and Dieltham Trading. There's an archway with funny squiggly lines (Thai) on top and about a 200m walk (or taxi ride) down a road to the building.

Once inside, the process was quite efficient. The woman behind the desk filled out my forms for me while I went to get a photo (from the same photo booth where LG took his, apparently). I came back and then went to the second floor for my written and eye test. This is where a little social engineering came into play as some flirting with the obviously gay guy sitting at the desk resulted in my test being completely filled out for me as we chatted.

Took the same eye test- picking out which blobs were green, red (or pink?), and yellow.

Did a bit more running around and got my license in a total time of about an hour- not too bad, eh!

So all I need now is a car...

I have a thai drivers licence but it expired last feb. Can I still renew it or do i have to go through the normal process as LG describes?

Also took the test with the colors. Aparently they test every thai hether he can distinguise between the colors or the traffic light. Now the only thing they need to do is explain them wat the meaning of the different colors is. They just forgot that with a considerable part of their applicants I think, looking at general trafic light behaviour.

Crash--

Can you walk me thru that process too??

--UPSer

PS: I only need the medical cert and address cert.. The Thai embassy says that there is a special form (available from the clinic in BKK) for Driver's license medical clearance. smile.gif" border="0smile.gif" border="0

quote:

Originally posted by UPSer:

PS: I only need the medical cert and address cert.. The Thai embassy says that there is a special form (available from the clinic in BKK) for Driver's license medical clearance.
smile.gif" border="0smile.gif" border="0

If you just tell the doctor what you need then they will churn one out in the required format. Bumrungrad charged B300. In fact they charged B300 for issuing a second copy of a certificate they issued for my work permit, though the first B300 bill included a medical!

As far as the letter of residence is concerned mine came from the UK Embassy but I would imagine they are pretty much the same, and equally expensive. They have a (brief) form to complete, mainly to record the address you want to be shown on the letter and they make a copy of your passport. Simple mailmerge with a standard template and goodbye to B1300!

LG

Archived