First trip: how old?

Zaad

Hi,

How old were you when you first visited Thailand, whether it was a solo trip, a trip with your parents at the age of 5 is not relevant.

Please do NOT include a transit at Bangkok airport. I'm talking about entering and experiencing Thai lifestyle, NOT a 1 or 2 hour stay at Don Muang.

I was 21 when I first saw life in LOS and I think that's fairly young. You guys?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was 24 in 1996 when I first came.

It was with a group of about 12 travel agents on an educational trip to Bangkok for 3 days.

I thought Pratunam Markets was THE MOST exotic thing I'd ever seen! :doah:

(I have since seen # XX in Tilac Bar, but that's a whole other story! ) :)

I didn't really know that the P4P scene existed then! :angel:

Well, I knew it existed but I didn't know to what extent or how anything worked.

In those first three days we stayed around Pratunam and took a day trip to Kanchanaburi.

It was only three days, but it was the most amazing place I had ever seen. (And I'd already travelled a lot). I don't know... there was just "something" about the place that really dug deep and is still inside me.

Within 4 days of going home, I had booked a 10 day trip to BKK and Koh Samui with my then Australian girlfriend.

I loved that trip, but still did not view any P4P activity.

It was about a year after that a friend of mine who is about 15 years older than me said he was going to be in BKK and would I like to meet him there. He said he was going to show me "a different side of BKK" :o

By this time I was single again, and decided "what the heck?" So I went. He told me to meet him at a bar called "Big Dogs" in an area called "Nana Plaza". I walked in for the first time, (he deliberately told be an hour earlier than he really meant to meet me, just to freak me out! :banghead::cussing:). Anyway, I never got to meet him - it was precisely 33 minutes until I walked out of there with my first Thai girl under my arm. ;)

And to think I had to say to her, "What do you mean when you say pay bar?" :dunno: ::

I can remember it clearly as yesterday...

Fly P.

Hey guys

My first trip to LOS was in 2000 I was 22 and took my wife there on our honeymoon. I realized after one trip to patpong that getting married was a big mistake. I think the best thing about it is I have made six more trips to LOS since then and my wife has not been back with me. I go with friends and went solo for the first time in March. My wife somewhat understands my love for Thailand and lets me go because if she didn't I would go nuts. I think she realizes it is the happy medium in our marriage. She also won't get on a plane again for that long. I hope to be back in Oct been hinting at for sometime now. I guess Im one of the real lucky ones

to have a farang wife that puts up with my shit.

Hi BKKNUT,

So does your wife know what you get up to when you're there, or does she just think its "a holiday with the boys".

And hey - be careful while you're in LOS... don't want to give the wife any 'unwanted souvenirs' you picked up in Thailand!!

But on a serious note, why don't you just cut the cord and live a solo life? If getting married was a mistake, there's only one way to fix it.

Fly P.

I was about 16 when I came to thailand first time, must have been 1996. It was four days in bkk and then two weeks in Ao-nang, Krabi.

I went there with my family, holiday.

I was really lucky and cought up with some of the local boys and played drums in the Full Moon House on christmas eve in return for free beers. Stuff like that, I have never been able to forget. Great first time xperience, and needless to say that many other trips have followed in the last 8 years.

Archived