Using the 'no' word in raising children

limbo

Raising our little one, it seems that I'm the only one who uses the no word.

My wife and her family will not tell out 16 months old baby that she can't do something.

Talking to other Thai women, they also look at me rather perplexed and say that if they had a baby, they would not say no to the child?

Anybody with similar experiences? How or when do Thais learn discipline?

Does this attitude change at a certain age?

Limbo,

There are a few babies in my wife's family at the moment and I haven't noticed this behavior. They are sometimes not allowed to do something and will hear it in the most baby-like way :: Seems OKish.

However, when they're 5+ (old enough to do real naughty stuff) they are treated the exact same way (like babies) and that's when I believe they could rather use some physical punishment, much more effective.

I see families applying the no-violence rule which IMO does more bad than good for both parents and kid.

It seems like sometimes that I am the first person to ever tell them no. "no, you cannot punch him" and todays classic "no you cannot read your comic book in class" All the more ironic as todays lesson was Class Rules ie listen, dont play etc. I never thought about putting in no reading comic books in class though.

But then most of the kids at this school do come from better off families and it seems like the parents let the kids do anything they want - little gods indeed.

As one kid told a teacher last year, " why should I listen to you, when I leave school I will join the police and become a colonel like my father"

Biggest mistake in the world not telling kids they have limits.

Zaad said:

Limbo,

There are a few babies in my wife's family at the moment and I haven't noticed this behavior. They are sometimes not allowed to do something and will hear it in the most baby-like way :: Seems OKish.

However, when they're 5+ (old enough to do real naughty stuff) they are treated the exact same way (like babies) and that's when I believe they could rather use some physical punishment, much more effective.

I see families applying the no-violence rule which IMO does more bad than good for both parents and kid.

Hi Good points.

""physical punishment""...we had a case some months ago where a mom hit a child in a supermarket ...one staff member told ""the"" authorities and all hell broke loose..the mom was charged!!!!

A long raging debate followed and is still ongoing...can you smack a child if is doing something wrong etc?

I got a few wacks when i was growing up ..as most kids did...did not do any harm in my upbringing,or any of my friends at that time.

Still i guess times have changed ....how many times do you say no and not get the result you need? :dunno:

limbo said:

Does this attitude change at a certain age?

Yes, when they leave home for college :p

Joke apart, dicipline is really part of any childs' education, lack of any dicipline will reflect in later age.....

Or.... have a few more..... your eldest will be the first to yell NO to her younger bros and sisters :grinyes: :grinyes:

BB

I got a few wacks when i was growing up ..as most kids did...did not do any harm in my upbringing,or any of my friends at that time.

I think it's part of the growing up process. Very natural.

I wouldn't never enjoy to hit my own kid but I would (and will if that day ever arises) do it for his own good.

• 2 weeks later...

"My wife and her family will not tell out 16 months old baby that she can't do something.

Talking to other Thai women, they also look at me rather perplexed and say that if they had a baby, they would not say no to the child?"

At 16 months its time to use the no word. They are bright enough to get it at that age.

My son gets it at 1 year old, but his mum is stricter with him than I am. This also comes from the fact that I do not see him that often.

Cheers!

Hi

I feel you must use the NO word...when little ones are about to do something wrong/dangerous.

Getting near a pot of hot hot water,pulling at electrical plugs etc etc .

Must stop them and teach them no..do not do that.

as they get older...different words/tactics are needed..imo

Archived