my little princess

Fatbastard

Indulge me in a little sentimental ramble.

I had a daughter a little over two years ago, big change for me as at 56 years old, it was my first, (second daughter due next week) My freinds back in the west thought I was certifiably insane, but my family was delighted if shocked. Over the last two years my daughter has been a delight to me for almost every minute. As one who struggles with Thai, I marvel at the way she slips seamlessly from One language to another, at the appealing mix in physical features between Thai / western, while her hair is just off a really dark black its texture is like silk, her eyes are dark but very large, she has that beutiful honey colour skin.

She loves Kaaw Neeo with the NZ roast lamb, I had last night.

We guys who are fortunate to have cross cultural children are indeed well blessed.

spirit_of_town_hall said:

Congratulations, having a child later in life makes perfect sense to me. Wiser, richer ( hopefully ) and more patient.

You speak the truth, but like everything, there is a downside that not many people think about.

I am the only child of older parents -- my Dad was 46 when I was born. He was great, but the thing I resented (maybe too strong of a word) growing up was that he was not physically able to do "kid things" with me, like playing baseball, camping, etc. due to his age. Not to say he did not try (he tried hard), but he just could not keep up with my friend's fathers who were in their 20s. Ya, he was overweight & out of shape, but age magnified it. I still feel that I missed out on things because of it.

Not much fun taking care of elderly parents when you are struggling to get through Uni -- not much fun anytime, but really tough when you are really just a kid yourself. And the fact that he died when I was 22 sucked too as he never got to see his daughter-in-law or his grandkids :( and he was never there when I needed adult-type advise (career, finances, women, etc.). But he was still an awsome father!

Just food for thought for all those older (wannabe) fathers out there, that your decision has ramifications that are not all good.

For FB & others who *are* older fathers: I wish for you to keep healthy and live a tremendously long life so you and your kids can enjoy each other for years to come!

Suadum You have made a very relevant point and the childrens future with an old Dad worries me a bit. Although I am probably not your typical couch bound 57 year old as my main "hobby" is belting around a race track on my Race bike and we travel quite a bit both internationally and around Thailand. Still not to be denied, I am an old Fart and for now revel in the adolation of my girl. She was watching the Motorclycle GP with us on Sunday and ask's Mum which one is Daddy, so Mum points out one and she says "Daddy law mark" well ! will enjoy it while its there.

Obviously equivocal this ancient parent stuff.....I was 45 when my son was born.....my take on it is to do a good job, until he has a higher degree under his belt and then decently die.....I script his grandparents to do the same, so somewhere into his late twenties he should find himself with plenty of money and few family to clutter/fuck up his life.....

Yes, fat one! We are blessed. Its a bliss and it brings a new perspective. The sight of pure laughter (not fake ones as we grown ups have) - the joy of a hug and seeing them grow up. Every new thing they learn is so nice to watch.

And of course, their mums are more lovely than us, so the kids are as well!

Heck, how could an ugly dude as myself get such a handsome son? He already rambles a bit in 2 languages - easy and short words though.

Cheers!

Archived