The Subway is Open (sort of)

DocThai

As I was coming home from work today I crossed over Asoke and to my surprise the Subway gates were open and a security guard was standing watch. Turns out operations have started without any advertising on a limited run from 5-8 p.m. As this is Thailand the ticket prices are all crazy (17 baht, 23 baht, 27 baht etc) but there is a current discount just as crazy (13 baht 19 baht 23 baht etc).. The station itself is a dreary grey but hopefully they will spruce it up with murals/ads. One thing that will paralyze the Thais is that on the third escalator down I lost my mobile signal. Checked with some others down there and they all had the same problem.

As of this evening there were no short-time hotels open underground...

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After further reflection it will open Ratchada strip to more falang usage. Thus make-ing the Bermuda triangle a square! :: Now the faithful falangs that partake of this blessed area will have to share ::

SkiBum

Oh goodie, a Thai underground system! When I'm next over in Bangkok I'll bring some ideas from the London Underground to give it that authentic tube experience.

These include:

A busker murdering 'Streets of London'

Passengers eating KFC and stinking the whole carriage out.

Pool of stale piss next to the sandbox.

Chocolate vending machine that never works.

Some surly staff at the ticket barrier.

Ski: I asked here once upon a time how people thought that the subway would affect the Ratchada action, but no one had anything to say. Myself, I'm interested in if this will cause sanuk prices there to go up or to go down.

Archived