The Subway is Open (sort of)

DocThai

As for the mobile phones not working, expect that to continue for a while.

There is a dispute between TOT and some other companies over who has the right to provide phone service for the subway.

You can bet that it will soon be setttled and AIS will walk away with the right (even thought they're not even involved in the intitial dispute).

Official opening for the Subway is now stated as July 3 and discounts will be in effect for the first year of service.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My understanding about the phone thing in the Subway from stuff that I read is that the Company that ran the hardware is a subsidiary of Orange. AIS has "quality" concerns if they use their transmitters (also have to pay a fee I guess). AIS wants to install its own hardware. DTAC is undecided on what it wants to do.

Wouldn't it be really intersting if the subway starts and AIS uses the existing hardware, and OH MY GOSH. For some reason AIS SMS traffic doesn't seem to be working from the subway. Maybe there's some glitches in the technology that has to be worked out. I'm sure it will be a smooth progression though, like when Orange came on the scene. It had no problems with call and SMS traffic with DTAC. Though I seem to remember some difficulty with AIS, but can't quite rightly remember what it was...

<<burp>>

On a related subject its good to see that all the route maps on the BTS have got teh connections to the subway marked.

Still nothing about joint tickets visble though.

And they have started work on the elevated walkway from Sala Daeng BTS to the subway at the corner of Rama 4. I heard its supposed to be finished by December thus cutting out all the fighting the crowds on the pavements down below if you want to connect.

Benchmarked the Sanuker Express last night.

Patpong to Soi Cowboy by Subway. 23 minutes. The actual train ride was 7 minutes, 15 seconds. The longest part is the walk from Patpong to the Silom station (especially with all the street vendors in the way).

All rides are 10 baht until 12 August (Queen's Birthday holiday). I did not see any automated ticket machines (at least not at the Silom station). Maybe that is why they are selling the flat rate tokens now until they can get machines installed. Plastic tokens about the size of a 10 baht coin. You touch the token to the gate to enter, then drop the token into the slot to exit the gate.

BTW, Soi Cowboy is Exit 2 of Sukhumvit station, then only about 10 meters to the Asoke entrance to Cowboy.

Cheers!

Patpong to Soi Cowboy by Subway. 23 minutes.

That's a nice surprise. I bet that's quicker than the sky train for that hop. Walking to patpong from saladaeng station is a fair walk through vendors as well. You also have switch trains at siam station which usually adds a 4 minute wait. Subway fare is less too.

They are doing alot of "construction" from the two BTS entrances closest to Rama 4 road. It seems like they will build a Skytrain style walkway from this exit directly to the Silom Entrace of the subway. This is separate from the pedistrian overpass on the corner of Silom and Rama 4. Should make the transfer from the BTS to the Subway even easier.

Cheers!

Archived