The Subway is Open (sort of)

DocThai

So how is the subway doing??? When will the "red" line be opening???

I can't wait to get to Thailand and take my first ride. I am going to go to areas I have never even thought of going and just walk around and do the real Bangkok this time. Maybe close my eyes and point to a stop, get off and walk around, hit a restaurant randomly. Then when I am hot and bothered I will go to the stop with the massage parlors and "cool off". Then I will go back to Asoke and hang out at Cowboy or the Patpong station for some pongin'. All accessible by subway now. Excellent! What a great new mode of transportation for Bangkok!

Oneye

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought I would save some time today so bought two of the black tokens at Sukhumvit for a round trip to Sala Daeng. First part was fine but the token was rejected for the trip back from Sala Daeng to Suk. Went to the agent and he said the token was only good for originations at Suk. So dont try to be efficient and save time by buying tokens for roundtrips in advance.

Also, noted today that the driver is calling out which side the doors will open for each station which is a good idea. But unfortunately the English is barely legible cuz the drivers doesn'tt have any idea what they are saying in English. Hopefully they will get the automated tape (which is very understandable) that calls out the stops modified to include the right/left door info also.

I like the subway!!

"So dont try to be efficient and save time by buying tokens for roundtrips in advance."

Yeah, you're right about that. Don't understand the thoughts behind this.

I have a card as I'll be using the subway frequently. Saves a lot of time, no need to wait in a queue or buy a black token everytime I need a ride.

Only need to refill once in a while.

Regarding queues I was waiting at Sukhumvit a few nights ago for TG to arrive on subway. 2 guys were in the ticket booth, 1 of whom seemed to be counting notes and doing other clerical tasks. His colleague was fighting a losing battle with the queue which stretched back to the escalator. Despite this the other guy did not pitch in to help. I was there for about 10 minutes, and the situation did not improve. On other occassions I have seen 3 windows open.

Regarding tokens I travelled with TG from Sukhumvit to Sam Yen to hold her hand. I did not come out at Sam Yen but took the return journey to Sukhumvit and exited there with the token.

Exciting times on the subway. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I gave the subway a try 11 aug (was just one day in bkk)

Looks to be a nice addition to the bkk infrastructure.

There were a lot of people using the system at 10 baht/trip, unlike the BTS when it opened.

Now that prices are "regular" will the load facter remain or reduce?

Bangkok urgently needs to reduce street traffic and I am affraid the price will not allow many thais to take advantage of the subway.

Is there someone who can tell how traffic will be in the next days, when this long weeken is over?

I rode the subway again today, Hua Lamphong to Sukhumvit. 20 baht. I'm not sure if any ride is 20 baht or just HL to Suk- there are no signs showing pricing or alternative ticketing options.

It was the middle of a mostly non-rainy Sunday afternoon- plenty of seats available.

AC not as nice as on the BTS. The temp wasn't bad, but the humidity was way high. The train already had a moldy smell to it.

The entrance to the station from the Hua Lamphong Railway Station has a nice corridor, with historic transport photographs taken in Thailand along one long wall and "building the subway" pics along the other wall. The gold-enhanced chairs that HM the King and HRH the Queen used at the opening day are also on display

Tip #1: don't call the station that has an entrance at ther corner of Suk/Asoke and another ON Asoke up past Cowboy the "Asoke" station when you buy your ticket. The look on the agent's face indicated a petit mal epileptic seizure. In all fairness, I suppose the Queen Sirikit Station could also be considered "Asoke"

Tip#2: Expect the lines at the ticket office to be tremendously, impossibly looooong. This was the case at both the Hua Lamphong station and the Aso... err, the Sukhumvit station.

Tip #3: Maintain your composure when, after repeated attempts to purchase 4 (four) tokens, you hold up 4 (four) fingers, only to have the agent repeat, once again, "2 (two)?" Still recovering from his mild seizure, he apparently couldn't process the fact that the 2 (two) people standing in front of him needed 4 (four) tokens. To paraphrase: "Do they speak any English in "Two", motherfucker?"

BTW: Yes, I did try Thai first. I guess there are, what, up to 25 (twenty-five) different tone combinations for "sii kon". I apparently couldn't find the right combination.

At Hua Lamphong, don't be surprised if the distinguished graduate of the Whistle Academy blasts you for standing on the side of the platform where there is a large sign that reads "To Bang Su". It should be obvious that one should stand on the OTHER side of the platform, where there is a sign of equal size, reading "To Bang Su".

And, if this is the sort of thing that can ruin your day , then why don't you just go home?

If you can get a token! :)

shygye said:

If you can afford a car in Bangkok, you can afford the subway. You have to get people with cars to use the subway to reduce traffic. Making it cheap so Thais ride the subway instead of the bus will not reduce traffic.

that's not exactly the way the Thais see it. many Thais, who can afford a car, will not use anymore public traffic (or just exceptionally), no matter what the price for public transportation or for gasoline is. as a proud owner of a car they belong now to a higher social class and do not want to mix up anymore with poor Somsak or Nui around the corner, who still depend on public transportation. i know many Thais living in Bangkok, who have never used sky train or subway and will only move with their own car or in case their car is under repair with a taxi, that Somsak and Nui do not see them not moving in their car!

Archived