Antivirus dilemma

thalenoi

I have this new PC which came delivered with eTrust antivirus from CA, 90 days trial. they offer a 5 year extension for virus signatures at 39 euro, 59 for 10 years and 99 computer life (I never keep a PC longer than 4 years though....)

I have been using Norton Internet security for ages, although they pissed me off (too long to explain) but they seemed to be the best according to reviews.

Dilemma is now should I pay an extension for eTrust, switch to Norton and buy a new package or buy something else?

I read excellent reviews on PC-Cillin 2004 taking care of virusses, firewall, trojans, adware.

I also run Adaware, SpywareBlaster, Spybot and a trial of Spysweeper (good thing is last one works online, but cost 30 usd/year)

Any advice welcome.

Hi,

one which is also quite good in tests and free for private use is Antivir

They update their signature very often.

I download some files from dubious sources, until now everything fine. Antivir found the problems and promts me how to resolve them.

Have to admitt I had one problem, once in about two years time it gave me a false warning. But the file was ok, I double checked.

Thalenoi,

come on, you live in Thailand and pay for software? Of course I do not recommend to buy illegal software for 100 TB around the corner. ::.

Norton Antivirus isn't the best software anymore since it is updated only once a week. Other companies do this daily in the meantime. Therefore there is no reason to stick to Norton.

I would obtain a copy of Zonealarm Pro and another Antivirus software.

Thanks for your replies.....

I did try to install a Pantip Plaza Norton Internet security 2004 copy but never managed to activate the stuff with that key generator program.

After having bought a legal NAV Win Millenium, paid for a one year signatures and upgrade to XP one month later. Was tough to have Norton reply me via some distributor to purchase their new XP compliant AV 2003.

Yep, that's were I bought Norton AV 2003 in Pantip, but 2004 was a no go. I will happy to flush them to the bin.....

Still not sure whatto do.....

I wouldn't recommend relying on XP's sp1 firewall, as it only blocks incoming traffic and so would be useless against blocking trojans\worms that have got on your system. I understand that the sp2 version does block outbound traffic, but haven't seen anything to convince me that it has improved sufficiently for me to rely on it.

My choice is still ZA Pro, but stick to 4.5 release until Zonelabs have sorted out 5.

I have a lifetime subscription for Trend Micro PC Cillin that came with my laptop. I also have Norton with Internet security. But instead I use the free AVG for anti virus and ZA Pro 4.0 for my firewall. Norton seems far to bloated of a program. I find AVG to be faster and easier to use than PC Cillin or Norton.

Window's XP firewall is not much protection.

Norton 2004 Antivirus key generator is interesting. Norton claims they have the toughtest anti-piracy software to crack but yet at Pantip, it cracks like a fresh egg.

Archived