No haircuts on Wednesdays?

Zaad

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

the TG I mentioned above told me she had about some number of customers all days of the week in Bangkok. She owned her shop 1979-1999 so according to her this is something old(er) or from rural areas only - or those moving from such areas to Bangkok. She's from south and there this superstition is unknown.

elef

SUZIBANDIT said:

Any others? Hmm, lemme think...

Hi suzi,

One I came across recently was that you should not be asleep at sunset. The baby was feeling sleepy around 6.00 and GF was deliberately keeping her awake. When I asked her why she said "yang may kham" - I think kham means dusk, after sunset before the sky is fully dark. :dunno::banghead::help:

Khwai

samak said:

NO! also many people i know that grew up in Bangkok and central thailand will not go for a hair cut on wednesday.

My former wife comes from Central Thailand and she told me about the Wednesday superstition and she believes in that.

But my girlfriend has a barber shop in the South, and she has customers also on Wednesday, no problem. She say that just people with much believe in superstition going for such things.

Its same as Thai's should not walk under a clothesline with underwear.

(and we in the West not walk under a ladder).

Apparently if you let a baby sleep through sunset its a guaranteed way to give it nightmares...

GF just told me another one: kids are not allowed to play hide-and-seek when its dark, otherwise they'll be grabbed by a ghost and taken away.

Sigh...

Its a wonder Thais can get through the day with all these superstitions!!!

Archived