No haircuts on Wednesdays?

Zaad

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<the Girl wore a facemask and put on rubber gloves......is this normal practice?>

don't know you, but you must have scared the shit out of her! :neener: never, ever saw this in LOS; or is your memory so blurred :drunk: that you mix this up with the dentist?

Hi,

I phoned a TG in Sweden who had a big hairdresser shop in BKK for 20 years.

She told me that long time ago people believed wednesdays were bad - if you planted something it must die, if you cut your hair the result would be that you looked ugly.

But now just a few older thais believe this and no younger ones. Maybe in some rural areas still - she said.

:beer:

elef

Correct. If you look in to all these Japanese barbers / hairdressers around Suk Soi 39 you will notice the same. Funny enough my barber at Prakhanong ( 30THB for a cut) also wears a face mask, but then I guess because of the traffic, because he cuts outside. Getting my hair cut there is always an event for me and still after 7 years I think it is funny.Cheers,

Been coming to Thailand for 20+ years and just heard about the no haircuts on Wednesdays a couple of months ago.

First time I encounted the masked barber was at the Grace Hotel barber shop when I moved to Bangkok last year. But, they also wear them at the shop I use here in Pattaya on Soi Bua Khao.

-redwood

My GF and I have just been discussing this. She says it comes from a well-known Thai expression which is:

"Phuut haam dtaht, Pheuruhaat haam tohn"

Literally translated, it means "Wednesday don't cut, Thursday don't pluck".

In the old days this was thought to bring you bad luck if you did either of the above.

Apparently, it also extends to cutting your finger and toe nails on the Wednesday too.

Amazing the useless trivia you learn hanging around this board, isn't it?!

Not long ago, a Thai told me you shouldn't cut ANYTHING on a Wednesday. I'd never heard it going that far before.

Nevertheless, in the past year or so I have noticed a number of local barber shops now opening on Wednesdays. Maybe they need the business?

It's not just that Wednesday is a really unlucky day to have your hair cut, it is also that getting your hair cut on each day is said to have a different effect. From what I recall:

Monday keeps you from getting ill.

Tuesday keeps you strong.

Wednesday no good.

Thursday will get you religious protection.

Friday is good luck.

Saturday will make your life happy.

Sunday will lead to a long life.

That's what I recall being told a few years back. And, I haven't had a haircut on a Wednesday in years -- then again, I normally get my haircut on weekends when I have more free time, always have, always will.

Oh, I have also heard that it is bad luck to cut your finger nails after dark. Why I can't recall.

Oh and don't pat your belly in the night as this is said to attract ghosts.

Any others? Hmm, lemme think...

Archived