Turbulence...

MooNoi

150,000 take-offs a day, average 150 passengers, thats over 22 million passengers a day, total population in the US being what ? 270 million ? thats like 8 % of the whole population daily in the air..........

BB,

The USA is somewhat bigger than Belgium, you know. Ever heard about domestic flights? ::

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just for you OH. :hug:

On December 28, 1997, at 1340 UTC, a United Airlines Boeing 747-122, N4723U, experienced an episode of what the captain described as wave action (see footnote 1) followed by severe turbulence (two closely spaced turbulence encounters) about 870 nautical miles east southeast of New Tokyo International Airport, Narita, Japan (NRT) on Pacific Ocean navigation track 12 (see footnote 2). The airplane was operating under 14 Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) Part 121 in VFR conditions at the time of the accident and was bound for Honolulu, Hawaii (HNL). Of the 374 passengers (including 5 infants) and 19 crewmembers on board, 15 passengers and 3 flight attendants received serious injuries and 1 passenger was killed. Also, 161 minor injuries were sustained by flight attendants and passengers. Following the turbulence encounter, the airplane returned to New Tokyo Airport for an uneventful landing.

The figures I found on the DOT website gives for 2001, 8.6 million depatures for the year. That averages to 24000 per day.

BB, remember there are cargo only jets AND small RJ that hold at most 50 passengers. For example, the majority of flights for DL is with RJs.

Also, remember that US citizens do not need passports to visit Canada or Mexico.

Hi BB,

>>>>>>>150,000 take-offs a day, average 150 passengers, thats over 22 million passengers a day, total population in the US being what ? 270 million ? thats like 8 % of the whole population daily in the air..........

And 2 % are passport-holders.....<<<<<<

I've always heard it closer to 15% of American's that hold a passport.

Also beyond small private planes, puddle jumpers, and cargo flights, don't forget the military. I think your 'average flight' in the US carrying 150 passengers figure, is way off.

HT

The US Dept of State website says: "The Department anticipates processing 7.1 million passport applications in 2003 and 7.6 million in 2004. Workload projections show that yearly passport demand could rise to more than 9 million by 2008..."

Now this does not indicate if these are renewals or new applications. But seeing as US Passports are good for 10 years, I would think that the renewal rate would be low.

It also says: "To further homeland security initiatives, the Department will continue through 2004 a project to image digitally 32 million passport records dating from 1994 to 1999..." So if ~32M is the right answer for the number of issued passports, that would be 32M/294M = ~11% of the US population with passports.

Cheers,

SD

He Tiger !

Thanks for the stats, so 11 % passportholders ? subject closed.

Now then, I kicked that screensaver away a long time ago, but remember heights of 1300 - 1400 flights at any given time.

Thats worldwide for the largest alliance.

Anyone has other figures ?

BB

Archived