Is it possible or is it just a dream???

rmorris22

Two months ago I had a meeting with my boss. there was a proposal on the table for my department to move to Tempe, Arizona. I currently live in the San Francisco Bay area. Of course, due to the MUCH lower cost of living my trips to LOS and possible retirement there would increase dramatically. That proposal was nixed. Today we had another meeting and the task is to do a ROI (return on investment) and a Risk Assesment on a move to.....where else?.......Bangkok.

A bit of background. I work for a large electronics company and we have manufacturing facilities in BKK, Taiwan, Singapore and the Philippines. BKK is sort of the hub.

I just can't imagine living in BKK on a corporate expat package I actually think I popped a stiffy when he said that. I think this board is the only place I go and express this.

I realize at the moment it is probably premature to discuss this possibility, but it still makes me feel a bit giddy. Or maybe it is better expressed as being only one number off from winning the lottery. Just had to post this......

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you are not yet in the twilight years of your career, you would do much better to take the job in Tempe.

Taking a foreign assignment rarely benefits those who do.

You would have more potential employers around you in Tempe.

Having taken as assignment in Bangkok may result in stigma.

Then again, if you don't mind risking your career, this is a fine place to unwind on the week-ends (if you get them off).

Just be real careful to understand what you are getting into. Bangkok is nothing like Tempe culturally (I've lived in both).

RickF.

rmorris22 said:

I just can't imagine living in BKK on a corporate expat package

Hi rmorris,

It's great, but maybe not like you first imagine it. First, you are working, not on holiday, so free time is limited. You would probably have less of it than in the US.

In terms of daily routine, all the simple little things seem to be more complicated and take more time than in the West. One of the best things about my trips to the UK is speaking to someone behind the counter in a shop and knowing (without even thinking about it)that I have made contact and they understand what I have said.

If you don't speak Thai then you must do it - and that takes time.

Anyhow, I hope it works out for you and maybe I will bump into you one day - hopefully not while falling down the steps at Nana Plaza.

Khwai

rickfarang said:

Taking a foreign assignment rarely benefits those who do.

It's worked out well for everyone in my company. The tax savings alone is a huge benefit.

You would have more potential employers around you in Tempe.

But if you have a job that point is greatly diminished.

Having taken as assignment in Bangkok may result in stigma.

The only stigma I have noticed is "Wow, that sounds exciting." and a belief that accepting an overseas assignment means you are "open-minded" and willing to adjust to different environments.

Then again, if you don't mind risking your career, this is a fine place to unwind on the week-ends (if you get them off).

I seriously doubt the original poster will be risking his career. My overseas assignment (KL and BKK) has greatly enhanced my career.

Bangkok is nothing like Tempe culturally (I've lived in both).

Thank goodness.

The main thing I would worry about relocating the company to BKK is that there is a distinct possibility the employees will not be part of the relocation. I've heard of many companies that move overseas and staff up with local employees. The old employess that were in the States are quietly discarded.

I just can't imagine living in BKK on a corporate expat package I actually think I popped a stiffy when he said that.

When I received an internal email three years ago offering me an expat package in Tokyo I had the same reaction. Moving to Asia is one of the best decisions I ever made and in no way, shape or form has my career been compromised... hell, they can fire me tomorrow and I'd have no regrets. :beer:

No ex-pat pack for me..too much of a layabout but I remember well, about 10 years ago, overhearing from behind TTM massage curtain ( what was the name of that place between S3 and 1, now demolished?) an ex-pat chatting up his lady with finesse and an enviable "Bangkok ennui" which fascinated me into wondering " I could live here too?".........the rest is history..GO FOR IT!

I was born in San Francisco(4th generation) love the city

but wow expensive! I think going to BKK wold be a wonderful adventure but keep (try)your feet on the ground.

Head over now to the Thai wat in Bezerekely to start your Thai classes

Good luck

Live your dream

I can't believe this board sometimes. Some of you guys are telling him it would be a bad choice for someone who loves Thailand to be posted there as an expat, on a package pretty close to what he'd get at home.

"Bangkok, Thailand? you mean, where i have gone evry year, because i love the place? Nahhhh... Give me boring Tempe instead!"

COME ONNNN!!!!

PS: Ray, sounds great! I hope it won't happen, because i will HATE you if it does......Can you tell the company i can be a janitor (some painting too), thai salary. I speak about 300 words of thai, if that can sway the decision.

Archived