Is it possible or is it just a dream???

rmorris22

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
rmorris22 said:

Two months ago I had a meeting with my boss. there was a proposal on the table for my department to move to Tempe, Arizona. I currently live in the San Francisco Bay area. Of course, due to the MUCH lower cost of living my trips to LOS and possible retirement there would increase dramatically. That proposal was nixed. Today we had another meeting and the task is to do a ROI (return on investment) and a Risk Assesment on a move to.....where else?.......Bangkok. <snip>. Just had to post this......

RM-

Exactly what did you have to offer the Devil to get this deal? :)

I don't see how this could hurt you. I have heard the same negative urban rumors that some here have repeated to you, but... does anybody know anybody whose career has been injured by an overseas posting by their company, solely as a result of that posting?

I can't believe those who remind you that you will be working - you'd be working in Tempe, too! :) Hmmm, let's see, Tempe after work and on weekends or BKK...???

Live like a royal person. Save half of your money. Don't burn your bridges.

If they offer you to work in Bangkok, my advice is to take it. I'm assuming that you would be paid decent wages,healthcare plan,retirement plan etc.. by your company, to work in Thailand.

You would be in a great position to plan your future retirement in Thailand, and your Thai language skills would probably be very good.

If things go wrong for whatever reason, you can always go back to the U.S., but at least you will not regret having taken the opportunity to do something very few people have the chance to do.

'twere me I'd be carefull not to appear too eager and would accept the post as a slight downgrade in living conditions (losing my culture) having first upped the salary package by 5,000 baht a day to cover "integration" expenses...

let's see 600 BF 2,000 LT 2,400 booze and snacks and tip, mmm that's about right!

Cheers

Coss

Funny you posted that. Our company is going through exactly the same thing, only different.

It?s a small company with only 4 Engineers, and 3 of them walked into the president?s office and said they want to move the company (or at least the Engineering group) to BKK or they?re going to quit and move there anyway.

They sweetened the pot a little to make it more attractive; for example, they?re paying for the move (including outfitting the new office), they have to figure out how to automate a couple things in the Sunnyvale lab on their own time, and a few other things?

The boss thought about it for a couple days and said if they could make a remote office located nearby work for 6 months, they could ?shove off? to Thailand.

I live by myself in a 4-bedroom house in Los Gatos, so I volunteered to host the remote office. The house is already wired with two separate networks and two high-speed connections to the Internet. All we have to do is set up a small lab, a couple desks, a few puters and we?re ready to go.

It should be interesting to see how things work out.

In their case, this is prolly the last job they will ever have so they?re not too concerned if going to BKK is bad for their careers. The funny thing is that working for one company in Silicon Valley as long as they have has prolly been much worse for them. The financial rewards have been good, but as they?re reaching Critical Mass they?re finding there is a lot more to life.

A real possibility or a dream? I?m not so sure myself, yet.

Ray old buddy,

May I say on behalf of all of us who cannot move to BKK, that you are perhapes the luckiest guy to be in this situation. And May I had, that I am extreamely jealous of you, or anyone else in this situation. So jealous am I , that I am sick over it. I truly am. :) Good luck! and congratulations!!! :) :) :)

Be careful what you wish for dude. I would first assess how this move would affect my carerr LONG TERM. I would also look on a historical basis at the carreers of those who took overseas assignments for the company you work for. Depending on the company you work for an overseaes position could be a fast track to a better future position or a DEMOTION. Keep in mind that your network of peers and contacts (if u have any) would be severely compromised and if you are in a fast moving industry you will really be out of the loop so to speak.

You are going to Thailand to WORK not HOLIDAY.

Good luck.

no idea how old you are , and what business.....

but many companies are setting up shop in the East ,

if jobs in your field are around then go for it ,

But if this may be your only job and if you lose it you are broke, then you need to think about the long term.

Tempe = damn Hot

My brother had a choice of Tempe(more$$$) or San Jose, he stayed in San Jose

Archived