USA dual-citizenship....

Check this out...

Belize to Act on Passports (February 7, 2002)

Belize ends its controversial ?economic citizenship investment program? over concerns of potential abuse by terrorists. The program, which allows non-nationals to purchase Belize passports, also provokes criticism for being "demeaning to the country's integrity." (Financial Times)

sanuk4u said:not wealthy... ::

Then yer fooked mate! All those little countries selling passports want is yer money, they don't give a rat's ass about you!

Not sure why Monaco does what it does...

Cheers,

SD

So that is it? No country besides an (unconfirmed) deposit of one million us dollars into Monaco?

I find it hard to believe, any one else have information on this?

Belize to Act on Passports (February 7, 2002)

Belize ends its controversial ?economic citizenship investment program? over concerns of potential abuse by terrorists. The program, which allows non-nationals to purchase Belize passports, also provokes criticism for being "demeaning to the country's integrity." (Financial Times)

I recall that several wealthy Americans gave up their US citizenship to become citizens of Belize and thus avoid the US's worldwide taxation (I think the only other countries that have worldwide taxation are North Korea, Cuba and Vietnam), the ploy was challenged by the IRS, and the US courts sided with the IRS. So I guess in some circumstances you cannot give up your US citizenship even you want to.

I have been a permanent resident here for a while, and have toyed with the idea of applying for Thai citizenship so that I can buy land, avoid the work permit hassle every year, etc.

[color:"red"] I have been a permanent resident here for a while, and have toyed with the idea of applying for Thai citizenship so that I can buy land, avoid the work permit hassle every year, etc.

[/color]

I have never met a Western man who had become a Thai citizen. Met a German lady though who became one through her marriage to a Thai man.

Jasmine

Jas,

A few Americans from the 70's were able to become Thai Citizens during that time (many ex-Peace Corp members). By doing so they were in hot demand in the late 80's and 90's as they could then be the "Thai" owner (in name) of foreign companies. Many are still here and doing very well with their Thai citizenship - especially as it is now much more difficult to change you citizenship now (if you even wanted to).

My feelings is that when a Thai man marries a foreigner, it is much easier for her to convert to Thai, almost impossible for the other way. Something about the official mentality that if a Thai lady marries a foreigner then she should go to his country.

Cheers!

The American owner of The Pizza Company, Bill something-or-other, doesn't he have Thai citizenship? I think he kept his American one, Thailand doesn't check to make sure you give up the old citizenship. He's the most well known example I can think of, but I do know a handful of Western businessmen who have gained Thai citizenship, not to escape taxes abck home, but for the business breaks it gives them here.

Hi,

Thanks for the info., that reminds me of a Peace Corp who taught me when I was in the 9th grade who I heard that he is still in Thailand. He is only 10 years older than me so he is still a young man who enjoys Thailand :D

[color:"red"]My feelings is that when a Thai man marries a foreigner, it is much easier for her to convert to Thai, almost impossible for the other way. [/color]

It is actually written as such in a Thai law, nver mentions anything about men who are married to Thai women.

Most Thais do assume also that the Thai men who are married to foreign females are more educated than the Thai women who are married to foreign men. In most cases this is true and the Thai men can provide to their foreign wives.

Jasmine

Archived