Adding a hard drive

Old Hippie

Might want to copy files from my old computer to my new, mainly Music files and maybe a few email photos I received. What kind of night mare am I in for? what is the best way to do this. I was told a simple usb cable should do it, then what? and can I pull the hard drive out of the old and add it to the new computer? or should I use an external box? Thanks

OH,

Given the fact that you're not really a computer whizz, I should go with an external harddrive. Just plug it in to your old computer, and if the old pc is on windows xp, it should recognize the new hard disk as soon as you power it on.

if you're on windows 98, you may need to install the drivers for the external harddisk first in order for the computer to recognize it. Then simply copy the files to the external harddrive using windows explorer, and then plug in the cable to your new PC. Copy the files from the hardrive to the new pc and you're ready.

The external hardrive can from then on be used to back up your documents from the new PC.

Cheers,

soongmak

Do you have network connectors on both computers? Then it'll be easy. As you want to donnate the old computer it doesn't make much sense to take out the old harddrive and put it back again (but an option anyway).

With network connection between the two computers you enable sharing of the harddrive you want to copy from and it's really fast. If you don't have network connectors on one of the computers, the network cards are dirt cheap. If you donate to a school they might need network anyway. A tricky thing is to directly connect two computers via network cable you need a crossover cable. Available at the same store as the network card.

For a connection via USB cable you need a special cable and software for this. It's not as easy as you were told.

Beside USB data transfer cables are pricey.

My thought. get a external drive case (usb) about $30-40

put in a hard drive, new or used $20-50 and plug it in.

Windows sees the new drive and you can drag and drop anything you want. If it's big enough you can even use it for backup.

And you can bring it with you and plug the cable into any computer and have all your stuff with you. :neener:

OOPS, just re-read your OP. Still my solution is the simplest. once the old disc in the usb box you can move files anywhere you want. (I would put all you stuff on your new disk and then wipe the old one clean... then you will have an extra disc for archives, backups and travel.

Get the bits together and give me a Message on a messanger service, I'll walk you through it live :: You know where to contact me :neener::devil:

Archived