40K enough to move to Thailand for good ??????

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

first how old are you ?

do you you need to make this $40K last for 5-10 years or 30plus years ?

And if you are older will you get a pension etc in a few years.

And when you run out of money can you go back home and get a job again, or by leaving have you closed that door ?

IF you are 40 years old and have to make this last 25+ more years, well you do the math , its not going to be fun !

Sounds like you got a winner!

Get a teaching job that pays 50-60,000 a month means you will be bringing in money and not spending your savings. Even if you land a 30,000 a month job, that isstill plenty. Many Thais do not even make 8000 baht a month.

To keep your savings, hopefully you will stay out of the tourist traps. Also becareful of certain falangs who just love to get there hands on your money.

JayJay,

Mate, just go for it - we both know that 40K, 140K or even 240K isnt going to last the party animals a long time, but this is about your desire to move to LOS, not an arbitrary number. The advice of the other board members is certainly well-meaning, but the expats who are there seem to find a way to pay the bills, regardless of life's rollercoaster ride - just do it.

Good Luck,

Artie

Well, I don't spend much and I do profitable privates. My Saturday classes net about 14,000 baht a month for 6 hours each Saturday.

I have a Thai guy who gets me lots of students and I split the cash with him, he provides the classroom too.

My regular job pays quite well too... about 35 - 40k... I guess I spend maybe 20k a month.. maybe a little more.

Hi,

"Many Thais do not even make 8000 baht a month. "

No offence, but I often wonder why people bring this up when talking about budgets. Farangs and Thais do not live in the same way, and comparing their budgets is like comparing apples and oranges, it just cannot be done.

Sanuk!

If Thais can live on 8000 baht a month, I suspect a falang can live in Thailand on 30,000 baht a month. There are plenty of falangs that are teaching that do just this. So can the initial poster live here - YES. no problem

If Thais can live on 8000 baht a month, I suspect a falang can live in Thailand on 30,000 baht a month.

You totally missed KS's point or are oblivious to it.

Saying a Thai makes x means that a farang can survive on y is like saying that because Inuits live in the arctic and survive off the land Joe average city dweller can do the same.

It's an irrelevant argument. Thais have a familial and cultural support structure that allows them to survive on as little as 3000 Baht a month or get by when the money is not there. Their friends and family pick up the pieces. If you don't understand this difference then you truly just don't get it.

Pom Michael said:

Jay^2,

Don't listen to these guys.

40K is more than enough to move and live in Thailand for a GOOD year!

It is just the second year on that you have to worry about......

Cheers!

Hi Pom

He doesn't say where in Thailand he will live...if north and a village he will make the money last longer....a little ::

Archived