40K enough to move to Thailand for good ??????

>Regardless of what some people say about scraping by on a teacher's salary... I've been doing it for 3 years.

and

>Lately I've been able to save about 25,000 - 30,000 baht per month

Well, *that* does not compute. Given that the "average" English teachers salary is only 25-30K per month, either you are not on a "scraping by" salary or you have another source of income.

-j-

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
rompandadam said:...very many in the 50 to 80k range.

josh_ingu said: Given that the "average" English teachers salary is only 25-30K per month

Wow, I'm with Josh one this one. All the teachers (not just English) I know are in Josh's stated range (OK, maybe up to 40K/mo), even some Uni lecturers. Only exception is one guy who is a dept head at a private international school and he is in the range you quoted. But that's only 1 out of dozens!

Heck, I'd teach for ~B125K/mo (but not for less than that as I would not have the patience)! Any job leads at that pay rate LOL?

Cheers,

SD

40 000 US dollars is about 1,400,000 baht. You cant live of that for life obviously. If however you want to teach English it will be a good cushion for 4 or 5 years. 1.4 million baht divided by 60 months is 23,333 baht. You will also be earning some interest on the sum. Put the 23k baht with your teachers salary and you should have a good life. 55 000 baht per month for a single guy in Thailand would be pretty good.

Hopefully after the 5 years your income will have gone up and you will know your way around. So 40 000 US dollars extremely helpful if you are sensible.

If you are not wise you could be back in 4 months.

STH

After living costs (rent, food, transport etc.) I find it difficult to see how anyone could save Bt25k - Bt30k per month as a teacher even if they never went out or wasted a single satang. From numerous posts on teacher's salaries, they seem to top out around Bt40k. I think Stickman said that privately, he had had some gigs paying Bt60k or so but these seem to be the exception rather than the norm.

Fidel,

If you can save that great, but maybe you'll let some of the other teachers know your secret. What's changed in the past couple of months ?

There has been a definite move up in salaries paid to teachers in Bangkok. Also, roe and more schools are hiring farangs to teach subjects other than English ? and then the money goes up to decent levels.

I personally believe that the average teacher in Bangkok would now earn closer to 35K from their primary employment and MANY have outside work, private tuition etc which would comfortably push their salary to over 40K a month, though obviously that is more hours to work.

Stick

Sorry I think mst of you have misunderstood, this money wont be used and used only in an emergency, I will be earning in the region of 50-60,000 baht a month minimum anyway.

Archived