BAR GIRL DYING ON THE STREETS

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey guys! No one should be surprise by hearing or seeing this. Every morning walking to work down soi 4, I see the regulars who fall below that of a BG prospect.

It comes with the territory! What do you really expect? No casualties? Actually, I am surprise we don't see more of it, but it could these most (by far) of these casualties go home or hang out in more thai-like areas where they are more comfortable than lower sukhumvit.

I am not going to be one of these people who is going to say "I wish someone else helps her!" That is pure hypocritical. Everyone knows what is or isn't going to happen to these people when they reach the bottom of the barrel.

As Gandhi said "you must be the change for change to happen". Either do it yourself/get involved or say nothing. For me, Words just doesn't work for me as a way to wash my hands of tragic situations.......

Cardinalblue

"Bangkok can be tough, but if you have noticed lately, a girl who used to work out of New Wave, generally sits in a squatted position against the building near the bootery (between Sukumvit and New Wave on Soi 7). She is thin and sick. She has not been looking very good for some time and I feel her days are almost over."

Saw the girl you must have been describing Tuesday night. Looked terrible, probably weighing only around 20 kilos or so. Doesn't look like she has any friends to take care of her. HIV is one suspect, but yaabaa use looks like it certainly plays in.

CB, nobody is washing their hands here, and I fail to see the hypocrisy in a statement of sympathy. Writing them off under the logic that "it's going to happen anyway" seems a little strange.

BTW, what does "Everyone knows what is or isn't going to happen " mean exactly?

If the girl could get herself to the state hospital in BKK, they have a program where she may get help. The thai gov't buys up HIV anti retrovirals and state hospitals distribute to hiv patients for a fraction of the cost. Maybe for free in some cases? These drugs can be very effective.

The girl may have no idea, or may have accepted her fate and wants nothing to do with a hospital

HIGH THAIED said:

Hi,

Probably. She was only a concern because of a clean-up campaign. I'm not wanting to turn this into a political thread (which is banned here, BTW), but is does seem to be a shame how the disadvantaged there, are seemingly largely ignored.

Here in Hawaii, we certainly have our share of homeless, and outcasts, but there is an effort by many groups, to identify, and then offer some assistance. There are none who are not well known, by the various agencies. Of course, there are some who will refuse help. Which may well be the case in BKK, as well. I'm ignorant of the true efforts being attempted there. In a city of 6,500,000, just in 'registered' inhabitant's, it has to be a daunting task for them.

And also given that while many disadvantaged may gravitate to the lower Suk area, which then become overly visible to us, I still find it hard to see mutilated bodies strewn about on the hot sidewalk, with a tin cup in their hands. Many put there by a mafia allowed to exploit their disfigurements, without intervention from the powers that be. :onfire:

All large cities have these same problems, though, and is not just isolated to Thailand, for sure. Bargirl's who seem to be dying in the street? You'll see a few, but given the numbers, as in 10's of thousands, it's not very prevalent.

Given the extreme numbers involved, I think us punter's are well isolated, from the true ravages of our participation and affect, on the total situation there. The dark and gloomy downsides, are well hidden from us. It's not condusive to the well oiled machine, that allows the world to participate, without impunity, into the sexual delights that LOS offers us.

It is not as sterile as we might like to think. And every once in a while, we may very well stumble across the negative product of a not-so-well hidden/contained aspect of all of this.

HT

I think Tom Cruise's character in the recently released move, "Collateral," said it best when describing Los Angeles to the cab driver played by Jamie Fox. "I hate Los Angeles. It's a sprawling, disjointed city where no one knows each other. Some one could die on the metro train and no one would notice. Everybody would just go about their lives." One could make the same statement about Bangkok. It was a good movie by the way. I like seeing Tom Cruise play a bad guy.

" I hate Los Angeles. It's a sprawling, disjointed city where no one knows each other. Some one could die on the metro train and no one would notice. Everybody would just go about their lives "

Went again yesterday through "The Informers" from Bret Easton Ellis, that's pretty much one of the main messages of the the book

Very harsh portrayal.

follies,

It is going to happen is based on most of sukhumvit bar girls are one bad event or episode to a road of despair and possible death. These girls are living on the edge of destitute every day.

They have no strong family or friend network where it would make a difference. Yes, they might have friends or family but usually operating as liabilities or leeches. No one is a position of strength that can make a substantial difference in their lives because their friends are just like themselves. It is like looking in a mirror! No where to turn for permanent change or someone who can real help them.

This is the side of the entertainment scene very few especially tourists and ex-pats see. It is bad for business if we start learning what happens to a significant number of these girls. This is pretty much kept under wraps. Out of sight out of mind seems to be the approach here. Kind of like how LOS currently manages their other waste issues!

So a faceless unknown BG dies in the street. Is the media going to cover it? My guess is that it doesn't even get a small blurb in the paper. Remember it is bad for marketing and image. Thais are very good at focusing on only positives and will sweep under the carpet as many negatives and problems as possible. They don't like "headaches" to deal with...

How does a statement of sympathy help other than the person saying it? It doesn't stop anyone from indulging, does it?...

As i said earlier, it comes with the territory! The cost of doing business. The show must go on.....

Cardinalblue

Sadly but true, Cardinalblue!

Go one level deeper and look at the apartments some of these bar girls live in - if the girls' customers could only see the living conditions some of their little sweet ones live in, I think the customers would look at things differently.

Archived