Random Piss Test At Nana

I strongly suspect that very little of this is aimed at acheiving any legitimate goal, like catching terrorists or drug dealers. The Q Bar raid is a good example; I think 2 out several hundred tested positive and it is not even clear if those were false positives. Like many others here I suspect it is tied to the elections. If it is, it should end after this weekend. If not, expect a dramatic decline in tourism arrivals.

In fact, the business press was reporting that TAT is now acknowledging that Thailand will fall far short of its goal for tourism revenue this year. Even though the actual arrivals have been off target most every month this year, TAT is blaming the higher fuel prices we started experiencing about a month or so ago. :dunno: I guess they can't blame or bird flu this year.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Old Hippie said:

Was out the other night with SiSaket girl, we passed a police check point on Sukhumvit, and she began getting her I.D. ready., and told me to get my I.D. out as well. we weren't stopped though...

I was in Myanmar and in the former Democratic Republic of Germany :o years ago.

but i never had such experiences there like that what seems to going on in BKK. :: ::

>>Perhpas after the election this week-end, we will see this kind of activity turn the corner and either drop considerably, or REALLY start a crackdown. <<

Honestly I don't see the relationship between the upcoming election and the crackdown on nightlife. The raids were carried out by the police of the ministry of interior thus initiated and backed by the government and the bkk governor does not have much/any influence on the government. Of course if Thaksin's toy, Pavena, makes the race it won't do any good and if Chuwit will make it interesting times will be coming up.

The whole social order crusade does not make any sense, but on the other hand there is not much that makes sense coming from this government anyway.

Might be able to expect this during low season for some time to come. Too many shady characters being reported or something most likely. Wonder if they will ever get it down to

a laptop mode where they check visa and all. Maybe they just cannot start picking out certain nationalities but definetly I would assume a reason behind it and if they catch a few on drugs while doing so maybe for the better

Honestly I don't see the relationship between the upcoming election and the crackdown on nightlife. The raids were carried out by the police of the ministry of interior thus initiated and backed by the government and the bkk governor does not have much/any influence on the government.
Your logic seems sound, and I honestly don't know, but wonder if there is a connection that we just don't see. Or perhaps just wishful thinking on my part?

The timing suggests a connection because the crackdown became particularly severe (e.g., 1 am or earlier closing, fines if you don't carry your original passport, stepped up urine testing, etc) around the time the election posters went up. In talking to my resident experts - namely, several BGs and mama-sans - their opinions are mixed. Some say they don't know, some say it will end next month, but this seems to be more of a hope than a firm conviction.

All of them, however, clearly recognize that a continued crackdown will be a disaster for their livilihood. I haven't encountered very many political BGs in my time here, but in the last month I have heard more political sentitment that I have in the last 10 months. The dramatic financial impact this will have on most BGs seems to have focussed the mind.

OK guys, the elections are over today, right? All of us over here are wondering if all the nonsense we are hearing about Bangkok will end with the elections or continue. Make sure you let us know. Our travel plans will depend largely on what you guys and others (stickman) are reporting.

Archived