Random Piss Test At Nana

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"you can either spend a few hours in jail or a few hours in your local embassy to replace it..."

Forget it if you're french and not resident in Thailand. No new passport issued, only a paper which allows u to fly back to France, for many people it means a pretty big change in their plans. Happened to me along a few others I met. We had a SUPER BITCH at the embassy a few years ago so things may have gotten better now!?! I was once there and a french lady who was on some across asia journey just asked for a passport extension but no way either. Load of buggers!

Hence I understand people reluctance to carry along original passport

That's an amusing idea but we are talking about Nana Plaza here. I can't see Western Governments and Travel Agents feeling very sympathetic about a line of punters waiting for a piss test. You might have a better case with Q Bar but they have hookers there too.
I probably wasn't clear because my experience was at NEP, but I what I am suggesting is sanitized references to places such as Q Bar. Your point about NEP is well taken.

It is an amusing idea, and I wouldn't count on it working, but it would be kind of fun, particularly for those of you out there who can send letters from US and Euroland postal (zip) codes. For example: "My wife and I and our 12 year old daughter visited Thailand [i suggest a date within the last three weeks] and stayed at the [Novetel - it's a legitimate hotel, right?], and when we went down to the hotel bar...[CM2 qualifies]... the police demanded my passport, which I, of course, left in my hotel room. After suffering the indignity of a urine test, and five hours later..." Ok, that is probably a bit over the top and needs some work, but what is happening here is well over the top and needs correcting. A few letters like this to reputable travel magazines and the travel editors of reputable newspapers is justified, could be kind of fun, would provide with the New Social Order types with some well deserved attention, and might just get the attention of some level headed types in TAT. What is the downside? If it embarasses the f++k heads running things here now, well give yourself a pat on the back.

Incidentally, at the Soi Thonglor BTS station this evening I saw police officers selecting Farangs for passport checks. To be clear, these "Farangs" looked Middle Eastern so there may be more to the story - I really don't know. But given the current environment here, it doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy feeling to see this sort of stuff.

BKK_DJ said:Thai law states that all foreign visitors must carry their passports on them at all times...period..no arguments or reasons why you think this is wrong...
Actually it does not. It states that you must be able to identify yourself to a police officer. Acceptable ID for a foreigner is a) a Thai driving license, B) a passport, or c) a copy of your passports's info page and the visa stamp signed and chopped by an immigration offical.

This is from my pal who is a Major in the Immigration Police.

Cheers,

SD

when i lost my passport i was on Phuket.

i had arranged to fly yo BKK and had my Flight Ticket,but when i rang up Thai Airways i was told i could not fly with them without my Passport...... :cussing:

phoned the British Embassy about the matter and was told i must produce certain documentation for them to issue me with temporary travel documents so that i could get home.

i had to contact home and get them to fax things to me and then i faxed them to the Embassy and they eventually sent me what i needed to get home with.

i was expecting to have to make the long Journey to BKK by bus,but thankfully the kind Lady at the Embassy dealt with it all by Phone and Fax.

and i was lucky that i still had over 3 Weeks of my visit left,meaning their was no immediate panic from me.

Gents,

Welcome to our brave new world and fight against terrorism. You'll be seeing lots more of this stuff around the world. (The Thai cops will use it to gain more "tips" along the way I'd imagine.) False passports are the new big deal in the war against terrorism. The powers that be (USA and British) are pushing very hard for stricter passport and ID requirments, and are complaining about the proliferation of phony and dodgy passports in the third world and developing countries being easily obtainable. Hence the big crackdown lately everywhere. It'll only get worse I'd imagine. The Thai cops use anything they can to break balls and generate fines and tips. No drugs? Okay, where's your passport. I'd think this is happening in a lot of marginal coutries as well, not only Thailand. Anyone have any problems lately in Cambodia, Malaysia, Indonesia, etc. like this? Where ever the western powers can exert the most pressure is where you'll likely see this stuff flourish. Or where ever the corrupt police can use it to generate monies from the "rich" tourists.

I wonder is it at all happening like this in Pattaya yet? If not, that's where I am going to relax on my return in the next few weeks time. Actually it would be nice to see these idiots fuck it up so bad in Bangkok that it seriously effects the tourism industry. Might be a rude awakening for these cunts when they see that much of their extracurricular monies are generated by tourist dollars in one form or another, and that the nightlife is probably one of the largest generators of cash flow for these dopes. Would love to see a serious drop off of tourism make these jackals back off and get dope slaps from the money boys.

Cent

Bibs,

I rather think it's more about making money than anything else. :-) It's weird that these drug tests are still going on isn't it? I thought Toxin declared he had won the war on drugs a while ago? So why the continuing drug tests? :-) Seems more to me the war on drugs did nothing but raise the price of the illicit drugs, making more money now for the drug barons and hi-so money lenders boyos. I still haven't seen any big wigs get nicked for drug dealing, supplying the money for the drugs to be bought, or money laundering drug money. Just goes to show the handling of any newer laws passed and enforced for the "terrorist" situation. They have as much chance of stopping most actual terrorists as they do stopping the flow of drugs. I know, a cynical view, but what can I say? :-)

Hell, those bikinis could be made of plastique!!! :-) I suggest a strip search is in order. Any volunteers?

Cent

Archived