Stand by for really early closing

Lord Toad

I was just reading an article about the government plans to save fuel by closing department stores at 8 pm, hypermarkets at 10 pm and all bill boards must be off by 10 pm as well.

As this government is constantly looking for ways to close down bars and nightlife what?s the betting that they will use this as a way to clobber them.

Midnight closing, or earlier could be on the way, only, of course, to save fuel!

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is Thailand trying to become a secular country? They are moving further out of step with many western countries.

My local supermarket now offers 24 hour opening and I can go in to my local major city and legally drink beyond 2am.

I really wonder what they are trying to do. They do seem to have local support and on my last trip my taxi driver was telling me that Mr Taksin doesn't want farangs to come to Thailand and he was fully in agreement with that.

His arguement looked a bit shaky though when I asked who he would drive from the airport to down town Bangkok.

Please extrapolate what you mean by trying to become "secular".

As for being out of step with the west well then maybe the west and the east ain't so far apart.

In GB they're talking about introducing id cards, which will obviously have to be carried otherwise what's the point of having them. Allegedly to stop benefit fraud and fake asylum seekers. There's talk of setting up a database on every child in the country recording details of their habits and those of their parents etc. Big Bro really is watching you. Plus those who wish to enter the US have to endure lots of security checks.

So with anti-Farang crackdowns, demands for urine tests and passport checking it's only really keeping in step with the l'esprit de temps.

As Jim Morrison said, "I tell you this man, I tell you this, I'm gonna have my kicks before the whole shithouse burns down bleuuurrrgghhh." before vomiting copiously. :o

Archived