Stand by for really early closing

Lord Toad

Hey, all these clamp downs etc. this is just great for my first time visit to Bangkok in a couple of weeks. From all the readings looks like I have missed the boat !!!!!

Looks like I might be turning into just a "sightseer" After going yearly to the States for nearly 15 years I am now beginning to wish I had still gone west and not turned to East. Now dunno what to expect from Thailand, sounds almost like a police State - communism not Buddhism!!!!

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
gerrryuk said:

Hey, all these clamp downs etc. this is just great for my first time visit to Bangkok in a couple of weeks. From all the readings looks like I have missed the boat !!!!!

Looks like I might be turning into just a "sightseer" After going yearly to the States for nearly 15 years I am now beginning to wish I had still gone west and not turned to East. Now dunno what to expect from Thailand, sounds almost like a police State - communism not Buddhism!!!!

I think you are out of tune a little....you have actually wasted 15 years already and should continue with your trip East. No need to stay in Bangkok! ::

'In GB they're talking about introducing id cards, which will obviously have to be carried otherwise what's the point of having them. Allegedly to stop benefit fraud and fake asylum seekers'

how the fuck will ID cards make any difference about the fake asylum seekers?.

we both know that the UK Government have no control over them and don't give a fuck in reality how many of them come in the country and then disappear.

there should be detention centres set up to deal with them before they are let out on the streets.

i have no problem with having an ID card as i have nothing to hide.

bollocks to all the idiots who shout about civil liberties being infringed.

I think having an id card will make it easier for the government to count them all. ::

Well, you may not have a problem with having to carry id everywhere but if they make it an arrestable offence or if the cops can take you in for further questioning because they're not satisfied with your replies or identity then it would be a bit of a pain.

::

I'll give you an example. A mate of mine is insomniac. Likes to go walking or jogging at 3 am. Imagine the fun he'd have being pulled over whilst jogging if he didn't have his id in his shorts.

Still, could just be entirely innocent bureaucracy and more for the whitehall busybodies to fart around with to convince themselves that their jobs have got a purpose, without having a dramatic effect upon anyone's life/liberties.

gerrryuk said:

Dont worry, your far from having missed the boat. Sure things have changed (and not for the better) but I'm sure you will have an unforgettable experience. Maybe limit your time in BKK and head down to Pattaya for a few extra days.

You have to keep in mind that while it is a fact urine/passport raids, taxi stops, etc have been occuring, BKK is a very large city and the odds of it happening to you are slim.

I read about cars being stopped at impromptu checkpoints, drivers being stopped and questioned without probable cause. I read about drivers having their autos confiscated under the belief that they have solicited a prostitute and not released until a $500 fine has been paid. Am I reading the latest edition of the Bangkok Post or perhaps an old edition of the Moscow Times? Nope, I'm reading a copy of the local newspaper here in the USA ::

Relax, have fun and carry your passport ::

Thanks Damen and lou....... it is very reassuring, but you can understand the worry reading all the doom and gloom on the board. But you are right, maybe I will move out of Bangkok and go to other parts of Thailand. But thanks - and I will carry my passport, regardless of what is written. There are secure pockets ......

Archived