DOZENS OF TOURISTS ARRESTED IN THAILAND!

Hi,

this type of people you can find in Europe and the US also.

Modern conmen operate in futures and shares. If everything is so favorable why they don't make the money themselves?

The share setup is not entirely criminal as the shares exist - but promised profits can't come, so the promises are fraudulent.

Well, it reminds me of Simon Templar story of selling back an empty goldmine to the conmen.

elef

[ July 27, 2001: Message edited by: elef ]

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Reports of my imprisonment have been greatly exaggerated LOL

I am still on the right side of the fence and looking forward to the weekend immensely.

Seriously, I can't help but feel very sorry for some of those arrested because in many cases they are teachers looking to make more money.

Praise be to the Lord that this kind of work never ever appealed to me.

I'm watching the situation very closely, because even a 2 year prison sentence will be awfully grim.

As Boemba quite rightly implies - this is another nail in the coffin of those of us who want to spend the rest of our lives in Thailand. Not good. Not good at all.

So how long will all of these people have to spend in prison waiting for the thing to come to trial?

I notice that a couple of the arrested are in their 70's. Hardly an age where you want to be gobbling off a guard in return for bottles of Polaris drinking water.

I agree with poster above - these bums aren't/weren't "tourists". How did that word ever get into the thread title?

Cheers!

Bangkok Butterfly

I was quite struck when I saw the front page of the Bangkok Post this morning. I don't know any of these guys but I feel very sorry for them. What they were doing is without doubt criminal but they certainly don't deserve to be put in a Thai prison for maybe a number of years! They should be deported, heavily fined and prohibited from entering Thailand for a couple of years and that would be punishment enough. But a Thai prison is the place for murders, rapers and convinced drug dealers, NOT for a stupid guy who cons another stupid person on the phone.

I am quite shocked that people on this board "hope, that these bastards get what they deserve"!

bkkgeorge

BKKGeorge,

Some of my fellow countrymen have been stripped of their life savings by these con artists. How would you feel if you got swindled out of your life's savings?

Sure, picking up the phone may not seem like that big a deal but what they did was very well organised and trust me, I have met enough of these people and they all knew what they were doing - ripping off others FOR THEIR OWN BENEFIT! I can handle myself in a conversation about finance/stocks/share trading etc and not one of these people gave me a plausible legitimate business model to describe what they were doing.

I can't see any of them doing jail time, but a fine and deportation is imminent. Blackilisting too is a possiblity. As BKK Phil said in an earleir post, what they have done will not help the rest of us who live here working legally.

Stick

and some time in jail might teach them that conning people out of their life savings is not the nicest thing to do.

what beats me is, that everybody feels so sorry for these scam artist low lifes while some mule transporting dope gets shit.

yeah, poor little english teacher who wants to make more money...

i have to disagree with stickman a bit here. i believe jail time for most is more than possible. similar economical crimes friends of mine did earned them serious time.

Also Stick thanks for the report and links. One thing I notice in the Nations story, only the names of the farangs (don't flame me for using farangs)were listed. What happened to the list of the 19 Thais?

LeoTex

quote:

Originally posted by LeoTex:

Also Stick thanks for the report and links. One thing I notice in the Nations story, only the names of the farangs (don't flame me for using farangs)were listed. What happened to the list of the 19 Thais?

LeoTex

I also read that the 19 Thais, if they can prove their innocence, will be used as witneses!!! I somehow think that they will be able to prove their innocence and the Farangs won't....

Relieved that none of the names looks particularly familiar. And Elef, my thoughts are the same as yours. If something is so great that the money is just there waiting to be picked up, why are they trying to get OTHER people to do so? If it's all that easy, why not keep it to themselves?

Archived