DOZENS OF TOURISTS ARRESTED IN THAILAND!

No wonder they got caught. 450,000B a nite on champagne,fine wines and trays of vodka shooters.

I'll bet the BGs saw these guys coming a mile away.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I share the general consensus that the slime balls who perpetrated these crimes should be tossed in the slammer for a little bit of reflection, BUT the crime wouldn't have worked if there were not the greedy dickheads who were happy to send their hard earned off to an overseas bank account. I mean how fuckin stupid ! In my opinion they both deserve each other. May be, I would have a different view if it was my dear old Mum that got caught up in it, but she has received a couple of these calls and just hangs up before they start and while I love her dearly I have to say she "ain't the brightest bulb in the candelabra" when it comes to business, (lucky for her my old man was)

Since all of these guys got arrested, I have chatted with two guys who work for companeis doing exactly the sam type of business, and was flabbregasted that they were not even that bothered about it all. Both said that what they were doing was "different". I think a bit of jail time dished out might contribute towards making these other companies crumble, and make it very difficult to recruit anyone else to do it. After all, these arrests were just teh tip of the iceberg and many comapnies will continue to operate...

What these guys were doing is no different to scam artists trying to flog gems be it in Thailand or India, no different to so called reality TV shows...they play upon the inherent greed in so many people whatever the nationality. Be they BG in BKK or little old ladies in Sydney NSW, all have greed in common. If they wiped the $$$ from their eyes, they reflect on the old adage, ain't nothing free in this life...

quote:

Originally posted by Stickman:

BKKGeorge,

Some of my fellow countrymen have been stripped of their life savings by these con artists. How would you feel if you got swindled out of your life's savings?

Sure, picking up the phone may not seem like that big a deal but what they did was very well organised and trust me, I have met enough of these people and they all knew what they were doing - ripping off others FOR THEIR OWN BENEFIT! I can handle myself in a conversation about finance/stocks/share trading etc and not one of these people gave me a plausible legitimate business model to describe what they were doing.

I can't see any of them doing jail time, but a fine and deportation is imminent. Blackilisting too is a possiblity. As BKK Phil said in an earleir post, what they have done will not help the rest of us who live here working legally.

Stick

Stick,

I just want to make a clear point that I don't have any symphaty for these people. They are criminals and they need to be punished. I am not in the position to judge over the severity of punishment. But from what we all know spending some years in a Thai jail comes close to the thoughest punishment you can get in this world. Not wanting to see them rotten in a Thai jail (as we now by today unlikely to be happen) is nothing more than a human point of view.

I am sorry for all people who have been stripped of any amounts of money, but shouldn't they ask themselves how much they have aided these scams by their "stupidity"? If I would lend the key to my safe box to an unknown person and later I find the box empty, I can't only blame the thief!

As for the effect on our expat lifes here in Thailand, I don't think that this event has such a major impact. Since January we can clearly see a strong tendency to make life more difficult for expats in Thailand. And with tens of thousands expats living here the authorities don't need to search very long to find any reason -valid or not- for pointing the finger on us. Maybe it won't take too long that we will see the next photo of farangs on the front page of a Thai newspaper, unlikely to be in a positive manner.

It's everyones own responsibility to find a legal way through this more and more difficult jungle of life in Thailand and NOT to contribute to an increasing anti-farang policy.

Bkkgeorge

After all this bad publicity I wonder if these scams will still be able to turn a dollar out of senile aussies, if they can I reckon we gotta reassess our position on the food chain.

The Thais should put all these scamps on a chain gang and send them down to Pattaya or Phucket to pick up litter, would'nt be such smug little pricks after a month or two toiling in the sun

quote:

It's everyones own responsibility to find a legal way through this more and more difficult jungle of life in Thailand and NOT to contribute to an increasing anti-farang policy.

If I've ever read wiser words than that George, then I seriously can't remember when.

Archived