DOZENS OF TOURISTS ARRESTED IN THAILAND!

Back in the mid-80s there was the Mae Chamoi pyramid scheme in Thailand. Lots of folks, Farang and Thai, got burnt big time in that one. When it finally collapsed, the cops were going around to Mae Chamoi's various "homes" and finding money stashed all over the place, including underground vaults. Really sounds like an up-and-up business, doesn't it? But folks poured millions into it -- not in baht, but dollars!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The latest from today's paper is that not only are these people going to be deported, but they are also going to be blacklisted, meaning that they will be unable to return to Thailand again. For some of them that may have been in Thailand for a long time, have Thai girlfriends / wives / children here, that will be very tough indeed. I believe that this WILL send a clear message to anyone else doing it...

Stick

"I find it very difficult to understand how anyone with even an ounce of common sense can wire-transfer large amounts of their hard-earned cash to a foreign country based on a phone call!"

I think you'll find that most of these "suckers" are quite old and senile.

k9

[ July 31, 2001: Message edited by: dogeater ]

Aaaaah! The Man of Troof!

If ownly yure Reesoning wos as gud as yure spelling, we mite be Abel to Beleef wot yure saying. Of corse its all a conspirassy agenst the english langwige teeching komyoonity.

quote:

Originally posted by dogeater:

"I find it very difficult to understand how anyone with even an ounce of common sense can wire-transfer large amounts of their hard-earned cash to a foreign country based on a phone call!"

I think you'll find that most of these "suckers" are quite old and senile.

k9

[ July 31, 2001: Message edited by: dogeater ]

Well that would cover most Nanaplaza members then.....

smile.gif" border="0smile.gif" border="0

Archived