ARGUE about wages here

Maybe, but you miss the point. You do not have to drink all 534 beers per month LOL :D:neener::drunk::beer:!

I am using beer as a gauge to compare the costs of goods & services in one place to another. That is why the beer has to be local and served in a similar setting.

Using beer (vs a Big Mac) avoids complication in assuming that the real value placed on goods is the same in different countries. In reality, a Big Mac is considered a luxury in one culture but almost a necessity in another. A local beer pretty much holds equal status in its locality everywhere in the world and every country worth living in has it's own local brew. It also avoids the difficulty in accounting for differences in quality between goods in one country and equivalent goods in another. Beer is beer, only marketing is different, so using the local brand eliminates that.

And besides, who wants to live in the PI? :neener: Gotta put up with cherry girls, armed idiots and kidnappers :(.

Cheers,

SD

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"overall quality of life factors offered by life in Bangkok"

Which are??

clean air, nice weather with lots of fresh outdoor cafes?

rapid road and great cabs?

safe food?

BKK definetelay has the edge on a few sectors but "overal quality of life" better than in the West? French cities for exemple where I at last got back to office yesterday? Doubt so...

Sanuk index should take quality into account as well, I could afford as many BJ in Nice as in BKK but the service just ain't that good.

The above info wasn't directed to Lazyphil in anyway, but ,don't hesitate sending me a new PM mate. I won't tell anyone!

>less stress and better overall quality of life factors offered by life in Bangkok

IMO, that may be true for Thailand in general but not for Bangkok.

If you are not in p4p I don't see any quality at all other than roaming shopping malls.

Again, for some may be an improvement, depends on where they are coming from. From Sydney it does not look impressive at all and quality of life sucks big time.

It was in the papers, BKK has 1 sqm of park area per head. Minimum is 5sqm.

Paris offers 20.

AP & TTM,

I guess that it depends upon what you are into. I am a big city guy and love the fact that Bangkok goes all hours. Frankly I was bored to tears when I Oz as the whole damn place seems to shut down at 6PM! Sure it's pretty, but so what? I'm bored!

There are two nice parks near my house, plus a private one at my moo bahn, so I have that covered. YMMV.

But the people are what make it nice for me. I'm sorry, but I really cannot stand to be around your garden-variety, bog-standard Yank (I say Yank cuz that's where I am from). We just have nothing in common and their ignorance combined with their arrogance and agressiveness really puts me off. There are exceptions to every rule, but this is true for me for the most part. Thais may think the same way, but you generally do not know it. Everyone is shown respect. I do not fear for my safety here as I do in America.

Working 60+ hours for the pay of 40. No thanks. Two weeks holiday (or three if you are senoir management) combined with maybe 6 public holidays. No thanks.

All that to me = better quality of life.

Cheers,

SD

Only short sighted replies so far. No doubt most of us would

on a day to day thinking would pick Thailand. How many do you know that work in thailand and start a family that end up

sticking it out in Thailand rather than taking the family back home where they know the quality will end up much better over all. Just to size things up with the time and money you spent to get a degree in the west how would you say that you will end up in 20 years. Everything considered would you be better to use your degree for 20 years back home or 20 years

in Thailand. This is the real question. I would be suprised if many will choose the 30 baht health care deal.

wcv56 said:

on a day to day thinking would pick Thailand. How many do you know that work in thailand and start a family that end up

sticking it out in Thailand rather than taking the family back home where they know the quality will end up much better over all. Just to size things up with the time and money you spent to get a degree in the west how would you say that you will end up in 20 years. Everything considered would you be better to use your degree for 20 years back home or 20 years

in Thailand. This is the real question. I would be suprised if many will choose the 30 baht health care deal.

You posted the most frightening question for the people who send us reports about great life in BKK.

Fuck the expats on good packages, what other "coming and teaching now" people think? Some are in their 50s.

Where is the pension, security, being a farang there?

What does Stickman, a public figure, plan for his family?

Living and earning in BKK and sending his children to the world class schools?

Is he a hypocrit? No, he is a young man with no experience.

I guess two ways to look at your post. Are they getting those that fell ( dead beats) through the cracks back home. Or those that done well and have enough wealth and decided to

make a change being they already earned a good future retirement

think_too_mut said:
wcv56 said:

You posted the most frightening question for the people who send us reports about great life in BKK.

Fuck the expats on good packages, what other "coming and teaching now" people think? Some are in their 50s.

Where is the pension, security, being a farang there?

What does Stickman, a public figure, plan for his family?

Living and earning in BKK and sending his children to the world class schools?

Archived