ARGUE about wages here

$70K: I was talking almost 20 years ago when I first became an expat.

You are certainly unique in that I have NEVER met an expat *anywhere* that was on an expat package that "just paid enough to get by." There is no reason to do that. No offense, but you need to tune up your bargining skills and/or pick better jobs! Are you sure you were not just a "local hire?"

My MNC packages used to include: hardship allowance, housing, domestic help, car, int'l school for the kids, at least one club membership, home leave for entire family & maid biz class, some even paid local taxes. Now they are tightening, but I know that Ford still gives housing, one domestic helper, car, int'l school for the kids and home leave (econ class unless senior mgmt). If you get posted overseas, they will buy your home from you and sell it or have a management company rent it out for you if you do not want to sell. All this at your normal US salary (typical grade 9 engineering manager as I was in Detroit makes about $85K/yr nowadays). That's about B275K/month with not much to spend it on. I mean my worst expat package was from a Malaysian company where I "only" Rm20K/mo (about $5300), house (Rm8K/mo), car w/driver, no international school for kids, but Malaysian taxes paid and 1st class travel everywhere (family too).

BTW, Bush & Republicans already tried to take the exemption away late last year and that idea got bitch-slapped right outta people's minds. I doubt Kerry would have any more luck changing it -- have you a source for that comment or is it just more Kerry bashing? Kerry does not seem to have any specifics on his platform yet... But I do not care as I am an ABB voter.

If they did change it, I would be sure that I never worked for another US company again (not that I have in many years) as they are the only ones who report income to the IRS. And I would files taxes without *any* income (unlike now where I am resonably truthful and pay some even tho' most of my income is not reported). Let them try to prove me wrong. I could see the conversation: "Where the money we used to pay for the kids school and holiday in the States come from? That my wife's. She has a Thai passport and supports me. I do not have any income. Fuck off!" I have no ties to the US (no family left there) and it would not hurt my feelings to never go back if the IRS wanted to play hardball.

Medicaid and SSI are so fucked that I doubt that they will last another 10 years.

Cheers,

SD

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
whosyourdaddy said:

I know a few overseas hired expats.

One is on 500K bhat per month.

The other lives in a paid 180,000B a month apt and has a car etc.

Would be nice!!

In my company, over the last 6 months, 11 expats were sent home.

Their housing bills ranging from 4K US per month at the Hilton (with frequent guest points) to 10K houses + bonuses atop of their 200K US$ packages. Good memories.

Nine of them got retrenched within 3 months after coming back home.

What was the fucking important thing they were doing in Japan if they could be discharged that quickly?

I just feel more lonely after their departure (they were great drinking buddies), thinking myself might be the next (although they employed me under Japanese nationals rules).

work for myself now but I pay Per diem to employees so up to them how they live and what they spend their money on, vehicle is provided. They work 4 months on and 2 off and the tax issues are between them and uncle sam other than SS is paid per wages.

No foreigners allowed to work so I don't have a problem of cheap labor being taught the job then they take over the work.

The overseas tax issue come up with Clinton era and it has been turned down a few times already but from what I caught on TV this will be one of the taxes that Kerry approves of so I did not read it anywhere. I did read alot in late 90's ( could of even been Gore) about it. I don't mind paying taxes if I owe it, my parents use it. I left the Detroit area ( lansing) in mid 70's haven't been back but a few days since just to visit family on emergencies. Tax evasion is prison time so you better hope you do not use banks and are paid in cash other wise it is traceable. I don't spit in the face of the country which gave me a great way of life regardless of how much I don't agree with. Plenty of foreigners and cheap labor in most countries now days so it is not hard for them to find qualified people to do almost any position. It is a shame that a position requires a degree for the foreigner then pays low wages. The places I have worked there has been thousands of western expats and most do not get the embassy packages you seemed to of had unless they were long time upper management which is just a few positions out of the thousands. With todays communications abilities even fewer

management packages available

That is about what I pay and if they live in a rat hole good to em.Let them take the cash back home and do something meaningful with it. These jobs are to get ahead in life and not to live flashy in a foreign country. I let them work weekends and take their weekends when they take vacation. Why waste all the cash on a place overseas when you can buy one where you want to. We use to laugh all the way to the bank at these fools renting nice place. A cot and a few hots with the rest in the bank meant more to us, we are not there to show off.

whosyourdaddy said:

I know a few overseas hired expats.

One is on 500K bhat per month.

The other lives in a paid 180,000B a month apt and has a car etc.

Would be nice!!

"Working 60+ hours for the pay of 40. No thanks. Two weeks holiday (or three if you are senoir management) combined with maybe 6 public holidays. No thanks."

Suadum, U may plan a move to France! 35 hours working weeks, 5 weeks holidays, often even more, and such a relaxed labour law U're very likely to pocket in big money if ur boss has the scandalous idea to fire U ::

Total shame IMO and the result is I see quite a few people around doing fine and not intending to hire anyone. this includes myself of course.

We finally hit the absinthe last night and got really horny as usual when drunk and jeez would have i been better off in BKK !

I don't get what that mess about degrees is about... I'm quite glad I quit uni upon the first weeks and had dinner last night with one of my best mates over here. 30 y old, high school drop out, and grossing over 1 million euros since he's been 20, lot of it beeing profit.

Don't waste too much time and money on studies... show respect to booze and birds!!

Solely due to my desire to drag somebody down into a never-ending spiral of poverty and oblivion, let me ask again:

Anybody looking for a job in BKK?

BTW, I have 3 available now. All 50-60 K Baht/month, ~20 hours face time.

Secondary English, primary phys ed and primary math

Archived