BKK's nightlife is dead - exagerated?

voodoo31

bibblies,

I agree with you, to what happened to Korea and Taiwan, education and their economies(industries) made them fairly rich countries. They did have a reputation for their "nightlife", which today is expensive and subdued. After WW2, even Japan had a notorious sex industry, which catered to occupying GI's. Today, Japan's sex industry is propably larger than Thailand, but it cateres mostly to Japanese men.

Give Thailand time, their education system will become more effective and more children will gain acess to it. I beleive that Thailand in twenty years will no longer have this "sanook" reputation. And places like Soi Cowboy will only be a memory for us who did have a chance to enjoy it.

My impression on Soi Cowboy, it's only a matter of time when real estate speculators will push out the go-go scene. That area and location is way too valuable for the go-go owners not to sell out and make their fortune.

Chok dee,

HOKS

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nervous Dog: Yes, I was here in the '80's, al throughout, and before. I think, Nightlifewise, the mid-90's was the pinnacle. I think there's some truth in the "decline," if thats what you want to call it, began with the economic crash of 1997. Probably not a coincidence, but more of a Party's Over thing. Still, I maintain nightlife is better now than in the '80's. I personaly do not see it declining TO the level of the 70's or 80's. I think it will not get much "worse" than now, it's probably "bottomed out." Let's see what happens with the new mayor, too.

P.S.: I don't consider what's happened to the nightlife here a "decline." I'd call it more a "settling down." Like when you're a teenager with raging hormones, then after a few years you settle down a bit. Bangkok's nightlife's hormones were raging, but are now settling down a bit. It'll be quite a while before it raeches "geriatric."

No doubt that the land Soi Cowboy is worth millions and extra because of the Subway,

the land right on the corner of Asok and Suk will be the first to be developed , but will they need all the land to Soi Cowboy ?

Also is the "Soi" itself owned by the city , and the buildings private owned ?

As far as Nanaplaza, since the owners spend nothing on upkeep , its all profit to them ,

I guess you could take the whole corner including Magestic Suites and put up another big building or Hotel,

but whats the draw of lower Suk without NANA ?

I think the smart money is now sitting back ,

they know the area is overbuilt and when the boom dies they can buy the almost finished projects cheap !

Yes, and so what if they DO tear them all doawn. Another area will spring up. I would hate to see Nana And Cowboy, etc., disappear, had too many good times and memories, but hey, my life does not center around those places. Other areas will take their place.

Anyone comming to Thailand soley for sex and fun wild unrestrained times, is selling the place short......

----------------------

:applause: :applause: :applause: (for the whole post).

It is indeed my impression that these "crackdown" threads are not about discussing policies, more like finding ways and running arguments to accommodate one's wishful thinking and undying lust for girls herded in one spot.

There will always be 52% women against 48% men in thailand. Odds in your favor, guys, with a little resourcefulness! ::

For Thailand to progress that quickly surely the education system has to start changing now for its students to work through it. I don't see any signs of that yet.

I'm also holding out a bit against the 'inevitability' of venues such as Soi Cowboy and Nana being sold because 'the land's so valuable'. So valuable why? What's going to go there? More hotels? In that case, you're taking away one of Bangkok's very few tourist attractions to build something that houses more people that come for the reasons that you're tearing down! If you're not building a hotel, you're building a shopping mall, resturants or offices. For what shoppers, tourists and business men? As we saw (and still see) with the derelict 90s office-blocks and mostly vacant shopping malls, it's not a case of 'build it and they will come'!

Archived