BKK's nightlife is dead - exagerated?

voodoo31

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ND..... If you time frame is 20 or 30 years then you make this discussion absurd. Only manic futurologists live there!

Your stealth argument appears to me self serving...ie, since you are absolutely unshakably sure of your hypothesis and since they havent done it yet..therefore they must be doing it surreptiously!

Why was Q bar raided?..it is not particularly ugly is it?

The current lot have proved themselves utterly ruthless over some issues why do you imagine they are having a sudden attack of scruples/delicacy about leases, loss of face etc..

It reassures some people to think the powers have a integrated policies (even though they disagree with them) as opposed to being captained on a rudderless ship.....

Lastly Josh..do I really have to catalogue the incoherencies epidemic in those institutions? ( it would be off topic anyway)

>Lastly Josh..do I really have to catalogue the incoherencies epidemic in those institutions? ( it would be off topic anyway)

Absolutely not. Thats why I was seeking clarification as to your point. If you were going to tell me they were well ordered oasis of calm, rational planning, we *would* have a disagreement!

-j-

Squeeze them out of the bars and where does everyone go? Home? What is the point of this bullshit if everyone just goes out onto sukumvit? Fck I can't even get through some the areas, like walking into a disco, speakers, lights, booze, masses of drunk people, whores, right on the street, WTF?! And so when does this get shut down?

The upper class aren't offended by it, they r as corrupt if not more so than any little red light district, they don't give a shit. The play of the classes, one makes the other be and feel the way they are. I meet few Thais who really have any sense at all about what the rest of the 'world' thinks of them, why would they care? They want their degrees from america but they don't care about them, least of all what they think of thailand.

Close down the bars? They will push until they've filled enough pockets then fck off for a while.

I say every farang band together and close their bar with no notice or forewarning. Just leave. Even better EVERY farang leave the country simultaneously. What would happen?

I would not say the people are being squeezed out on to Sukumvit - last night the police, according to some of the girls, picked up about 30 ladies and ladies boys between soi 3 and 5 and on soi 3. The going fine was 1000 baht or 15 days in the monkey house. I know of some girls paying only 500 but that is mostly in the non-falang sections of the city.

Aren't we missing the point here? There country, their rules, plain and simple. Frankly, I hate when foreigners come to the USA and bitch about how it sucks here compared to their home, because "...in my home..." to which I say Shut up and go home, that simple. How would you or any of us like a bunch of foreigners comming to our country and trying to manipulate domestic policy? We wouldn't.

So for us, if we really get to a point where we hate what is going on, or find we are being harrassed, then we are free to leave, plain and simple. No room for debate on this. Thailand will and should decide where it wants to go. Remember we are guest here, and many come to do stuff in Thailand they can't or wouldn't do at home. What right do we have to "demand" Thailand stay to our likeing? We don't.

As I and others have said numorous times, there is plenty more to Thailand than cheap sex and cheap booze (which ain't so cheap anymore according to some). Anyone comming to Thailand soley for sex and fun wild unrestrained times, is selling the place short, and doing themself a diservice. If it is only cheap sex one is after, plenty of cheaper "freer" places, and we are free to go.

Yeah, that's not only what Thailand's about. However that's what this thread is about!

The reason why Taiwan and Korea wouldn't have the same kind of girlie scene as they did in Vietnam R&R days is because the economy and standard level of education has moved on. That isn't true of Thailand - they haven't built any sort of credible framework and all but the richest of the young are still very poorly educated. They're doing nothing to change it either. So, what else are they going to do?

Ambivalent cultural attitudes towards prostitution and laziness help too...

Archived