Tourists killed near death bridge

think_too_mut

Hi,

I'm not pandering a thing. I'm simply saying what is going through the Thai community gossip mill. I don't have a clue as to what happened, nor do I purport to do so. Simply posted here for those interested in the running Thai version.

HT

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi there,

my post wasnt directed at anyone in particular, so apologies , my post directed at all. The gossip about her working according to the UK papers is coming from the relatives of the chief suspect.

Non of us know, it seems to be adding insult to injury to the families grief for such absurdities to be banded about.

STH

Hi STH,

No offense taken. I know the local Thai gossip has some very incorrect information in there. Just interesting to see how wildly different all the stories are, coming from all directions. ::

What was also interesting was to see that out of 7 Thai eye witnesses, only one would speak a word to police. All others seemed to be too scared to say anything bad about a police detective, for fear of reprisal.

web page

HT

Just saying that I've met backpackers whose head I would have liked to have pumped 10 bullets into. I didn't, though, and neither should the cop have, although I personally am NOT of the opinion that murder is ALWAYS wrong. Depends on the circumstances. (Pause here for the usual moral outrage.)

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got him.........

British top envoy thanks Thai govt for capturing suspected killer of British tourists

KANCHANABURI: -- The British Ambassador to Thailand, H.E. Mr. David William Fall, has expressed his appreciation to the Thai government and local forces for their sincere cooperation and attempts to hunt for a Thai police officer who was suspected to have slain two young British tourists in Thailand's western resort province of Kanchanaburi last month.

The British top envoy thanked the Thai government and all authorities and officers concerned for the assistance at a press conference, held this morning at the provincial hall of the province, where the suspected killer was also present.

The accused, Sgt. Somchai Visetsingha, 39, turned himself in to local police near the 'Three Pagoda Pass' along the Thai-Myanmar border this early morning.

He was accompanied by his lawyer when he surrendered himself to the local police and military forces, led by Pol. Maj. Gen. Chalong Sonjai, the Deputy Commissioner of Provincial Police Region 7.

Police said that the police sergeant had fled to Myanmar and stayed with ehnic Karens near the border.

The young British couple, Vanessa Arscott, 24, and Adam Lloyd, 25, were shot dead on 9 September.

They were seen arguing with the suspected killer at a riverside restaurant near the renowned River Kwai Bridge, partly owned by the accused, according to local police, quoting witnesses as saying.

Sgt. Somchai reportedly argued and fought with Lloyd, and then approached the couple in a car parked near the restaurant.

He allegedly shot Lloyed dead first, and ran Arscott, who was fleeing for her life, down and shot her dead.

The motive of the murders was still unclear, said the police.

Police investigators later found bloodstrains and bullets in the suspected sergeant's car.

The accused had disappeared since the incident took place.

Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra had instructed local authorities to 'turn the land upside down' to aggressively search for and track the accused down.

The suspected sergeant is being questioned by the local police.

---TNA 2004-10-07

HT

SUSPECT GIVES HIMSELF UP

A Thai police officer suspected of killing two British travellers has surrended to police.

Adam Lloyd and Vanessa Arscott died from multiple gunshot wounds after a row at a restaurant in western Thailand.

Sergeant Somchai Visetsingha had been on the run since the incident on September 9.

He gave himself up near the Burma border and was to be flown to the provincial police headquarters, local police said.

Mr Lloyd, 25, and Miss Arscott, 23, were shot in the province of Kanchanaburi, close to the famous bridge over the River Kwai.

Visetsingha was said to be the owner of the restaurant, reportedly called S&S.

Reports at the time suggested the couple were attacked as they left and headed back to their guesthouse.

Mr Lloyd was shot in the stomach, head and arm before the attacker turned on Ms Arscott.

He hit her with his car and dragged her 200 metres down the road before blasting her in the body and head.

Police launched an intensive manhunt for Visetsingha, offering 100,000 Baht (around £1,350) for information leading to his capture

Archived