Tourists killed near death bridge

think_too_mut

>>>>>>Yes, remarkable accomplishment

ehh, he did give himself up by the way>>>>>

With his lawyer at his side, no less. This is going to be too freaking funny, not to disrespect the victims, at all. It was horrendous what happened to them both.

Guy leaves the scene, leaving car at home, full of blood and bullets. 7 Thai eye-witnesses to this ,6 of which, refuse to speak to police. Guy calls in to fellow police a few days later, asking leniency, if he turns himself in. He is refused. Taksin tells all, to turn the country inside out, looking for him. He turns up 1 month later, turning himself in, while Brit Gov, gives credit to Thai government, for his capture. Somchai now pleads complete innocence, to the entire matter.

WTF??? Oh my God. Only in Thailand. :D

HT

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

>>>>The British Ambassador to Thailand, H.E. Mr. David William Fall, has expressed his appreciation to the Thai government and local forces for their sincere cooperation and attempts to hunt for a Thai police officer who was suspected to have slain two young British tourists in Thailand's western resort province of Kanchanaburi last month.

The British top envoy thanked the Thai government and all authorities and officers concerned for the assistance at a press conference, held this morning at the provincial hall of the province, where the suspected killer was also present.>>>

In all fairness, Mr. Hall may not have stated that the Thai government captured Somchai, and was a mis-statement by the press, at large. It would seem from the above, that it has him only thanking the Thai for their cooperation, and attempts. Which is very legitimate.

HT

Hi Kwai,

Sorry.......I saw in another report, but lost it (didn't keep). It said Somchai pleaded complete innocence, through his lawyer. If I run by it again, I'll post here.

HT

Hi Jasmine,

Do you have the English version? Most can't read pasa Thai here. :p

Hey Jas, does the article state the motive? And what prompted him to do? Or is he stating his innocence, here?

HT

THE NATION

8 Oct 2004

He spat at me . . . I was dishonoured?

A runaway police officer who had gone into hiding for more than one month surrendered yesterday and pled guilty to killing two British tourists, one in a fit of rage and the other by accident.

Senior Sgt-Major Somchai Wisetsing was accused of shooting Adam Lloyd, 25, and then running down his girlfriend, 24-year-old Vanessa Arscott, and shooting her dead on September 9.

?I was so shocked that I fled to find time to think,? the law enforcer-turned suspect said yesterday.

Somchai, a Kanchanaburi policeman, claimed that he just intended to stop Lloyd and his girlfriend from quarrelling.

According to the suspect, his victims were already arguing when they entered his restaurant and continued to do so for the entire time they were having drinks.

He insisted that he did not know the couple before, refuting speculation that a love triangle might have been the motive for the murders. Some earlier reports said that Somchai had been drinking with them prior to the crime.

?I didn?t know what they were quarrelling about because I had many other customers to take care of, but when I was about to go home, I noticed that they were still arguing outside my restaurant,? Somchai said.

He claimed he then decided to present himself as a police officer in the hopes of ending their dispute.

?But the man punched and kicked me,? he said, adding that he suffered a broken nose and cracked rib in Lloyd?s alleged assault.

Somchai said he ran around his car in an attempt to get away from Lloyd.

?The man came at me and spat in my face. That was the last straw. I was dishonoured,? he said.

Somchai said he drew his gun and fired at Lloyd until his bullets ran out.

?I reckon that some strays hit the woman too but I didn?t notice that her body was dragged along by my car when I sped away from the scene,? Somchai said.

Following the attacks, the runaway police officer fled into Burma. He later contacted lawyer Somsak Toraksa, one of his acquaintances, to arrange his surrender.

An investigator, who asked not to be named, said Somchai was able to live with Karen soldiers in Burma thanks to assistance from an influential person?s son.

?When he contacted me, I persuaded him to surrender for the sake of our country?s reputation,? Somsak said.

Somchai yesterday showed up at the border at Three Pagodas Pass in Sangkhla Buri district, and was picked up by police officers accompanied by Somsak at 6.45am.

The suspect was interrogated until 8am, after which he met with reporters. He later flew on a military helicopter to a main police station in Muang district.

Provincial Police Region 7 deputy commissioner Maj-General Chalong Sonjai said Somchai?s crimes had damaged the country?s reputation but his surrender would heal the wound somewhat.

?He will face further investigations,? he said.

British Embassy charge d'affaires Andy Pearce was reportedly present during Somchai?s interrogation.

?We thank all our Thai friends who were involved with this case who gave their full support and cooperation, including the Thai prime minister and the Foreign Ministry who paid full attention to it,? said Pearce.

On Monday, a senior police officer disclosed that the British ambassador would visit Kanchanaburi this week for an update on the manhunt for Somchai.

Kanchanaburi Governor Cherdwit Ritprasart yesterday said relevant officials were doing everything to ensure safety in the province. ?Tourists can visit our province safely. Don?t be worried,? he said. The province is a popular tourist destination.

Meanwhile, Tourism Police Commander Maj-General Phanya Mamen expressed doubts about Somchai?s version of the story.

?We know Somchai was very drunk that night,? Phanya said, referring to a blood test administered to Somchai at a hospital he visited after his beating.

Sorawut Jongsakul

Kanchanaburi

Archived