Buddhism humiliated by dimwitted film writer

MaiLuk

BB,

So what? What isn't? It is irrelevant that it was an indian symbol.

In the modern world, it has taken on meaning far greater than its origins. Representations of items change over time and people need to be aware of their changes.

And are you going to tell me that the people who display it know its origniality?

It would be like me saying "you are a gay guy". Oh yeah, i am referring to its original defintion....

And yes, you are defending it by saying that you are not defending it. Why did you need to say that? To be political correct?

Cardinalblue

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thailand is hypocritical when it comes to their religion. You're damned right they would not think twice about making fun of Jesus or Muhammed, but they expect all the world to respect Buddhism to the point of absurdity. Fuck it. I'm always ashamed when Western companies back down instead of sticking up for freedom of expression.

1. Thais should wear what they feel like wearing since the gov has not yet tried to impose a dress code. Its a free country (as far as clothes go anyway).

2. The nazis don't own the swastika, it has a long history (over a thousand years) and will be around long after the nazi story has receded. If people are wearing the swastika for reasons other than identifying themselves with nazis, then that *does* make a difference.

3. If people are wearing swastikas to identify with nazis, then they are dickheads but refer to #1.

4. If kids wear it not knowing the meaning, then their just being kids.

Two of my uncles were killed by "nazis", but that was long ago.

BB: The indians used the symbol but I don't think the nazis took the swastika from the indians, they took it from some other old culture.

>>Outrage over a visual statement? From a nation where walking around with a Bin Laden t-shirt or a German WW2 helmet (complete with swastika) is perferctly acceptable?<<

But bin laden and swastikas are not issues thais care much about.

The film writer is clearly a moron. That was a movie that most likely would have sold tickets/dvds in thailand with its 70 million buddhists. By intentionally offending buddhists the film may not see a penny from the thai market.

"So try insulting Muhammad in a Muslim country and see what happens to you ..."

Well this didn't happen in Thailand and U can insult any raving prophet or deluding religion in most of the western world and U'll be alright. Franco's times are over ya know... at least around here...

CB,

Believe you me when I tell you I would be the last one to defend the swastika, the nazis and their symbols.

I only claim they do not have exclusivity to that symbol.

Furthermore I am appaled by the near total lack of knowledge Thais have on all about geography and history, outside of Thailand, even all about nazis and the WWII.

My GF did a huge catch up on her history after meeting me and has discovered a whole new world outside of Thailand.

BB

I only claim they do not have exclusivity to that symbol.

-------------------------------

Yes, but they have, when it is displayed same as the nazi emblem was displayed. black on white circle with a red background. The swastikas signs we see around Asia are not alike the nazi's in "composition".

Many of the commercial S. we happen to see in thailand, do have the nazi display. It is the recuperation of a strong symbol, well defined in recent history for the sake of selling on one side, and the sake of provocation, or maybe neo-aryanism on the other.

thais do use it the same as people use Buddhas as lamp posts, for ex. Not meaning harm, but still offending sensitivities for whom may be concerned.

have a look at this.

http://www.thecyberfarm.com/otherstuff/swastika/swastikahome.htm

'In Buddhist tradition the swastika is known as the seal on Buddhas heart. It can be seen though that the swastika can represent different extremes; on the one hand it is attached to the highest spiritual ideals in the personages of Christ and Buddha'

perhaps all these Thais walking around sporting a Swastica are doing so because of their religion?

All,

Went to a great Buddhist temple in Penang Malaysia a few years back. In one area of the temple there were hundreds of statues of Buddha, and each and every statue had a swastika on it. This temple had swastikas everywhere. Has nothing to do with the Nazis. It is a Buddhist symbol, as well as an American Indian symbol many centuries older than the Nazis.

Cent

BB,

About 6 weeks ago national geographic ran an eye-opening and powerful piece on the early years and creation of the nazi party. Footage i have never ever seen before and would recommend that it be included in the US public education system.

And yes, it went into why and how the party chose its emblem and symbol. It was not a hapharzard and sloppy choice but with precision and definitive purpose.

I am not arguing that the earlier meanings of the symbol or the symbol itself be banned as it does have and serve other meanings (though i believe the meaning was/is the same - a life of good luck and good fortune). The chinese and other east asian religions display it in creative ways with various designs and variations of it. Remember, it runs clock-wise and counter-clockwise in early use of it.

But what i have seen here in BKK is not some earlier and creative symbol (no problem if it is) but the same style, format, same direction, same color schemes as that of what the nazis created as their symbol. Think of it as a company logo and those people are repllicating it and then commercially selling it to the public as the identical version of the nazi symbol.

I don't buy it that other posters in this thread are saying it is instead representing their religion.

What i am saying it i believe those who are displaying it have no understanding what they are displaying and i am not sure if the thai general public understands as well and yes maybe some thai intellects/educated do but don't have the guts nor desire to educate their own about it. Maybe too damn confrontational for their culture.

There are sometimes the "mai bpen rai" attitude just doesn't work and this is one of them....

Cardinalblue

Archived