Buddhism humiliated by dimwitted film writer

MaiLuk

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

P.S. I meant the poster of the Hollywood film, NOT the original poster here.

And as for Valentin, typical of those who can't handle that bad things happen in war. Hope he likes the world better if those humanitarians, al Qaeda, ever get to run it. There are fewer collateral deaths than at any time in history now, so yes, the U.S. DOES try HARD to reduce unnecessary casualties, unlike what uninformed gits like to think.

"Also, the religion also states that believing in others do not make ones go to hell, actually the Lord Buddha encouraged the people to analyze what ones hear, do not need to beleive what he teaches blindly. "

Exactly Jasmine! Thats why its a religion which is difficult to turn into blind obedience.

Hi,

"There is a common curtesy and sensitivity, especially when it comes to a religion and tradition."

Exactly my point, yet Thais keep wearing Nazi symbols and OBL t-shirts, while at the same time whining about people in the West not respecting their believes.

'Do unto others what you want them to do unto you'.

Sanuk!

To put the OBL t-shirt in perspective: OBL basically has stood up and raised his middle finger at the super power even tho he might be annihilated for doing so. It does not surprise me that a few thais want to identify with him. If its the # of innocents that he killed with his attack on the US that should cause thais to reconsider, the US has in fact over the years killed a hell of a lot of innocents also. Should thais stop wearing t-shirts that say USA?

Zaad: not sure about the distinction you were putting on the killings that occur during US attacks but it would be an interesting discussion.

When OBL was giving the finger to the soviets, americans sent him millions of US dollars arms intelligence etc. The soviets were losing thousands of troops in the field from OBL supported mujadeen and civilians at home from OBL supported chechen terror attacks. Doubt the soviets would have agreed with the US position that OBL was a hero.

cardinalblue said:

His t-shirt read "Jesus is my homeboy" and it had a picture of a combination of jesus (as what is commonly portrayed in the west) and bob marley...

Cardinalblue

That is an old T-shirt. Kids in NYC were wearing that 8yrs ago. Interesting to hear that certain designs have a long life.

Exactly, KS. What if I had a T-shirt with the Buddha, thai style instead of jesus, being my homeboy.

Though i must say that the way we, in the west, have copiously derided our own religions and symbols/images in it, basically taken them out of our daily lives, especially as comes to rituals, make the use of a Jesus as T-shirt pop icon more normal than Buddha, which I don't think his teachings have been derided either locally or internationally so much as christianism.

Maybe, we should look into ourselves to find we invited such trivialization. Thais may not be good buddhists or follow the Buddha so intently, but they take him seriously, and see him as foundational to what Thai culture and thainess is..

Archived