Bit torrent

soongmak

(They're a little more ahead of us Euros in USA, where they've figured the civil way is actually more effective than handling it as a criminal matter.)

It's not so much a question of figuring it out IMO, but more so a question of privacy. I find the fact that in the US the RIAA can actually demand from an ISP to know who is behind a certain IP address backwards and frightening. Who are they to enquire?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well the Euro 'civil' approach may also include the priviso for people to trademark or copyright things as simple as punctuation marks, common words and graphics, and charge royalties for using them. It will be interesting to see how the courts use these new laws.

About the virus thing. In a bit torrent you are downloading very small pieces from many and varied locations at the same time, so it would be impossible for a virus to download enough of it's code coherently to resurect itself again on your machine. In fact the basis of bit torrents is used by companies to insure the delivery of sensitive data, without fear of corruption. A little slower than direct one to one transfer, but FAR safer.

Thanks for the info.

I installed Azureus and downloaded a program yesterday. So now I have a 450MB file with the .bin extension and a .cue file. Any ideas how I would go about opening and installing this program? Did something not work quite right?

I'll try a smaller download latter to see how it works.

[color:"red"] I installed Azureus and downloaded a program yesterday. So now I have a 450MB file with the .bin extension and a .cue file. Any ideas how I would go about opening and installing this program? Did something not work quite right?

[/color]

Everything worked fine. What you have is an image of a cd, and what you can do is burn that image on a cd with a burning program like Nero, or you can play it using a virtual cd-rom drive with a program like daemon-tools. clicking on this link will start the download. Then mount the image in the virtual rom-drive and you can play whatever is on there.

Cheers,

soongmak

For some reason the properties for the .bin file say it is a "AVG update file" which is strange. I do use AVG for anti virus protection so there is some kind of conflict. I burned it to CD using Nero but no luck there of course.

I downloaded a smaller program which had the .rar extension. I was able to extract the files using WinRar as LHL suggested so I guess I'm on the right track. Thanks for the helpful tips (LHL too).

Archived