How do I uninstall annoying programs.

sky brow

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would suggest that the best protection is having a crappy, old PC which you use for surfing "dubious" WEB sites. Thats where you get infected with Spyware.

The bottleneck when it comes to surfing is not your PC. Even on a broadband connection, with an old Pentium processor PC - its the net which is the bottleneck.

Take a copy of the HD on your surfing PC, copy it back every time you are hit with something which programs mentioned here can not remove. Norton ghost is an excellent program to use when you want to copy one HD to another.

Store data which is important on your other PC, its not hard to transfer data between them. Can either set up a small network, or use USB stick or CD.

With a cheap CPU switch, you can use only one monitor/keyboard/mouse as well. Costs for this solution is very low, time saved can be huge.

Cheers!

skybrow,

I just had a nasty Trojan which was neither found by Spybot nor by Adaware. Norton 2005 Antivirus found it only after a manual update, but wasn't able to delete it. Finally I had to delete the file manually after searching the web for some time.

Fazit: If you use filesharing tools and/or surf the darker side of the web, or even use Google to find (usually) harmless sites you never will be 100% secure.

Sometimes there is a simple solution, like against brower hijacking. Just avoid Internet Explorer and use Mozilla or Opera browser. Actually I use Opera (with a serial found on the web :o).

PS: Norton 2003 is quite old, you'd better upgrade your software. But Norton Antivirus software has a major flaw: the virus signatures are only updated every few days (only weekly?). This is much too slow. Kaspersky Antivirus for example needs only two hours to respond to a new threat.

Archived