Thai Magazine answer to Stickman on Xenophobia

jasmine

Good post, Chico,

<<<I dont know which part of Thailand the writer lives in but to say Thais accept all skin colours in complete rubbish.

If two girls go for the same job and have similar skills, but one is white and the other has dark skin I would bet the former would get the job.>>>

That is a very sad truth.

>>Every Thai I get talking to about their country proudly reminds me they have never been colonized. Sadly, they dont really see that the country is run by the Chinese Thais.<<

Another good point, which is largely ignored.

HT

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

HT,

You may have been with a Thai family, so what? You and the Thai family you are with are still strangers.

I was taught not to accept things from anyone, even my neighbors when I was little. I taught my child the same thing, especially drinks and food. In this case the bread is to be fed to the fish, but what parents fear is what else can lead to after that. :(

I know kindness can be misinterpretted, but you need to understand the society of Thailand too, quite more dangers around than other countries.

I bought a bunch of balloons from being sorry for the kid who could not sell any last Jan. in Thailand. I was by myself and wanted to give them away to other kids. Only half of the kids took them and a few told me that they could not take anything from strangers. I got wised up and asked parents first whether the kids could have the balloons explaining why I bought them the first place.

Many incidents were done by trusting people. My daughter when she was 9 visiting Thailand almost got kidnapped by a 15 yr. old kid in the neighborhood, he thought she was around 13, instead of 9, I knew his intent. Fortunately I taught her enough to watch out for certain things. ::

I would not jump into conclusion of racism so fast, if you were another Thai man, the little girl would have been scolded the same, IMO. :(

Have you heard of people got drugged in a tour bus and got robbed, just becuase they accepted a drink?

A girl friend when we were in Thammasart got drugged in the drink when she left the drink to go toa bath room, fortunately, some of us got smart and would not let her ride home with the guy who was supposed to drop her off.

I do not accept drinks from anyone unless they are still closed. When Hubby and I go dancing in Thailand, we do not go to the bathroom at the same time for fear of someone slipped things in our drinks, we also keep an eye on our table when we dance for that purpose. Call me paranoid if you like but I shall take care of myself and my loved ones.

I can go on more, but enough for now.

Jasmine

[color:"red"]If two girls go for the same job and have similar skills, but one is white and the other has dark skin I would bet the former would get the job.>>>

[/color]

Are you saying that there is no dark skin personnel working in decent jobs? Wrong. ::

Jasmine

Hi Jasmine,

>>I know kindness can be misinterpretted, but you need to understand the society of Thailand too, quite more dangers around than other countries<<<

What do you mean by that?

HT

Hi,

>>>>Are you saying that there is no dark skin personnel working in decent jobs? Wrong.<<<<

I'm not saying that at all. But I am saying that they are at a disavantage, when applying for a equal employment opportunities. You bet. That is exactly what I'm saying.

HT

Xenophobia and racism is not restricted to Thailand.

I think it is probably worse in Japan and Korea.

When i was manager of a college in Sydney we had a lot of problems when we had black students as the Asian students wouldn't sit next to them or work with them.........often heard the word monkey bandied about by them...

I also found many of the Russian students very rascist as well.

Hi Jas,

Yes.. I know. You are right, in that all parents should be wary. I agree. Maybe I over-reacted, but I don't think so. I have a daughter too.

>>>>I would not jump into conclusion of racism so fast, if you were another Thai man, the little girl would have been scolded the same, IMO.<<<<

I'd like to think so, but the situation did not bear that out. ::

HT

Jasmine,

I am not saying that its always the case that darker skinned Thais dont have a job, I said that white skin seems to be favoured over black. I also dont want to appear as critising Thailand just for the sake of it, please dont misunderstand me. I could have it wrong about Thais, and really I hope I do because it just means that my perception of the country and its people is wrong, which can only mean that Thailand is a better place than I already believe it to be.

However, in this case they could have hired someone from issan, black from the sun and in need of cash, rather than an african.

Also, I do believe it is the case that lighter skinned Thais would be favoured over darker ones. Thai TV is a good example of that. Why is it whenever I walk into a multinational company I am always see white chinese Thais working in respectable jobs and the only people with dark skin are cleaning the floor or acting as security guards?

I also think that the writer reacted as much to the fact that Stickman is a farang giving an op on something thai as to the criticism. She was clever enough not to include that in her article. We know others would have and have before.

maybe that's an opening on a thread, or continuing this one, about how thais (or those speaking in their name in the public place) accept criticism from foreigners, and look at that criticism with an objective eye. I find the place very insular in that respect, drawn inwards but stand to be corrected, as always.

Of course, some other countries might do the same, but I think most of us are interested in the peculiarities of Thailand as we log on NP.

I don't know. Its weird that in both African countries, and in Asian - the ones who are not white use products to make their skin lighter. Its an ideal. Its more serious than when we get a sun tan, for anyone who wants to debate that we are opposite.

Thailand are not alone about this fication in Asia, same in Viet Nam. Thats 2 countries who have never shared the same culture - except foreigners!

Its not only light trend which faces people. There is a strong discrimination which means tall is good. Its a craze in Viet Nam now. In China also. You have less chances of getting a good job if you are don't reach up. Many go to hospitals to straigthen/operate their bodies to get taller. Its an health hazard as there is always involved a risk with this . They go abroad to make these operations - Hong Kong etc.

::

Archived