Thai Magazine answer to Stickman on Xenophobia

jasmine

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HIGH THAIED said:

Hi,

>>>>Are you saying that there is no dark skin personnel working in decent jobs? Wrong.<<<<

I'm not saying that at all. But I am saying that they are at a disavantage, when applying for a equal employment opportunities. You bet. That is exactly what I'm saying.

HT

That's interesting. :) The McDonalds on Burslem High Street is almost entirely staffed by "dark skinned" employees, from floor-mopper right up the ladder to burger flipper. :up: In fact, I think the only white-skinned person in the whole establishment is the manager Larry Screwer, who sits in his large office smoking cuban cigars and counting money all day, or having his shoes shined by the "dark-skinned" dishwasher Rastus "Chalkie" Heskey, during the potwasher's 15 minute midday lunch break. :applause:

Clearly, Britain has an excellent "equal opportunities" program in place. :up:

Hope that's helpful. :beer:

jack :help:

check_bin_krap said:Plenty of not so dark isaan ladies there, the common factor is other traits.

I agree. :bow: A propensity to marry a wife-beating fuckaround alcoholic loser, be deserted by him after having a baby or two, then head south to fall off motorbikes, drink heavily, and and become an amphetamine-addled prostitute that'll shag any fat drunken farang jackass sex tourist for tuppence, for example. :rolleyes:

jack :beer:

Hi Jas,

The piece that you've quoted seems more like editorial, based predominately on the author's own experience than an authoritative discussion of xenophobia in Thailand. I dont deny the importance of getting an 'insiders' view, but I really found it tough going. If I personally got on well with Italians at my high school, does it follow that they didnt suffer racist taunts from other Anglo-Australians in the 1970's ? Of course it doesn't.

I accept that the Thais will react to any criticism of their country - thats natural - but I'd like to see a balanced reaction from an accepted authority on Thai history and anthropology. One of the strengths of many Western countries is that we have no shortage of intellectuals who are willing to 'tell it like it is' in their own countries, regardless of the outcome : I'd like to see more of that from Asian writers.

Cheers,

Artie

BTW Australians know a thing or two about xenophobia, so I may not be entirely objective on this issue.

Yeah, racism seems to be a little more overt in some Asian societies. Met a charming young lady in the Philippines earlier in the year. There were no black people around at the time. I hadn't made any racist references as that's not my bag. Anyway, totally out of left-field by way of making conversation this cute little thing turned to me and said "I don't like niggers." I was a little shocked but didn't comment as I thought she was going to maybe follow that up with a memory/experience. Nope. A few minutes later she repeated the statement again just in case I hadn't heard it the first time. Now, okay we were in Angeles which is hardly the home of high morals and virtues but even so it was quite a surprise to have someone being so blatantly racist. In her defence, it was however just after a large contingent from the Dogs Bollocks Bar had made a trip over to town. I guess she figured by looking at me, I had very short hair at the time, and the fact that I was a British male she reckoned I held the same viewpoints as some of the charmers from there.

[color:"red"] Also, I do believe it is the case that lighter skinned Thais would be favoured over darker ones. Thai TV is a good example of that. Why is it whenever I walk into a multinational company I am always see white chinese Thais working in respectable jobs and the only people with dark skin are cleaning the floor or acting as security guards?

[/color]

When it comes to jobs, it is deeper than what you see. I have looked into this carefully for the Isaan people have been at disadvantaged forever. At my time, (I am retired in my 50s)it was because of education and it is still is. I have asked why these people still don't have education, not much answer is clear, mostly because their parents do NOT believe in the education or no money.

Just like any country, education does help ones get better jobs. With very modest family background as mine, without education which took lots of sacrifice from my parents, my brother who is a lawyer now and I would have not been where we are. I have always felt that the Isaan people are hard workers but without education, ones will never go far.

As for prejudice against Isaan, the Thais have a terrible habit of judging people on what they appear, so it is assumed that the Isaan people are less educated, work on menial jobs, there goes the prejudice. Nothing is going to change soon if the Isaan people are still the ones who are working in bars, cleaning and so on. This can be a long debate, but belive me, Isaan is more developed now than when I was in school in Thailand.

Funny how some young Isaan women told me that they had to walk 2 KM to school so they quitted, so what I did the same thing growing up in the North. :( Quitting school is influenced, IMO, by parents who do not believe in education, want an easy, fast money using their kids, IMO, of course.

Jasmine

[color:"red"] The piece that you've quoted seems more like editorial, based predominately on the author's own experience than an authoritative discussion of xenophobia in Thailand. [/color]

It is my friend.

[color:"red"]One of the strengths of many Western countries is that we have no shortage of intellectuals who are willing to 'tell it like it is' in their own countries, regardless of the outcome : I'd like to see more of that from Asian writers.

[/color]

Agree with the above too. Many Thais writers do not want to waste their time. An article written (by a different writer) not long ago actually stated that he was tired reading or hearing the smart-assed "farangs" who thought they knew Thailand, I did not want to post it. One web-page he mentioned was Stickman's, I think I told OH about it.

I would like to see the reactions than not knowing what people think.

Jasmine

[color:"red"]Sorry, Jasmine, but I do not buy this one. If that was the case then why are white-skinned people used in every other commercial?

Sanuk!

[/color]

I just repeated what the toothpaste company explained why they used the black man. This company's commercial created complaints from the Thais with dark skin way before Stickman wrote about it. Checked with my brother, he said he heard the same explanation.

Don't expect you nor anyone to buy it KS, just informing you guys of what the darn company said. I don't have an opinion on that, all I can tell you is that the Thais do believe that white teeth shows better on darker-skinned people.

Jasmine

Archived