1000 dogs saved

think_too_mut

1000 dogs saved

October 6, 2004

More than 1000 dogs destined to be butchered and eaten in Vietnam were seized by Thai police who discovered them crammed inside three trucks.

The 1070 dogs, discovered in cages in north-eastern Thailand on Monday, were about to be taken through Laos to Vietnam, said police.

Four men were arrested for illegal trading because they had no licence, police colonel Sunthorn Kongkraphan said.

The dogs were put in quarantine.

If found guilty, the men would be fined but not jailed, he said.

The discovery of the dogs in Sakon Nakhon province was the latest in a series of regular dog seizures in north-eastern Thailand.

Dog eating has come under fire in places like South Korea, but has gone unchallenged in Vietnam and is also done in Laos, China and north-east Thailand.

AFP

I have not eaten meat or fish for 32 years but if people want to that's up to them. If some want to eat the doggy I can't see any difference in that to eating mr pig, sheep, chicken or cow. Dogs are are pest so the more that get eaten the better!-peter

The disease ridden, flyinfested stray dogs are a pest indeed.

I have on more than one occasion on a public street been surrounded by a horde of fierce dogs doing their best to get a bite of me while howling their lungs out.

Had I been armed I would have put them down with a smile on my face.

Now I am gonna have Flyw jumping all over me :cover:

Cheers

Nguu Hau

think_too_mut said:

I read somewhere, on big round-ups before important events, the dogs are taken to a crocodile farm near BKK and thrown to the crocs. Probably already gassed.

talking out of the place where the sun won't ever shine (as usual). this is typical bangkok bullshit rumor mill, nothing but empty air behind.

reality: due to buddhism, and especially the king's particular attention towards straydogs (remember the thong daeng fad?), those creatures are treated very well.

they are generally round up, but into temporary shelters, and then distributed to large permanent shelters outside of twon and upcountry.

in addition to that, the tessakit are rounding up regularly dogs, inject them, neuter the females, and then even let them free in the same area they have caught them. that happened to one of my dogs before i have had a big enough garden to take her in (now i have three former strays).

fortunately you have also many people going around and feeding their local strays regularly.

Hua Nguu said:

The disease ridden, flyinfested stray dogs are a pest indeed.

I have on more than one occasion on a public street been surrounded by a horde of fierce dogs doing their best to get a bite of me while howling their lungs out.

Had I been armed I would have put them down with a smile on my face.

Now I am gonna have Flyw jumping all over me :cover:

Cheers

Nguu Hau

yeah, you fucking have! ;)

bangkok is one of the rare places where the vast majority of strays are completely non-aggressive and non-confrontational.

the hords of dogs you might have problems with are not strays, but semidomesticated dogs, which do have owners, are fed, but are left most of the time outside.

strays are generally treated very well by the poeple. you got dog lovers who go around and fees them. hinduism and buddhism put serious importance to treat dogs well (i have somewhere some stories but i forgot them now, and too lazy to go through my mount of books to look them up ;) ).

in addition to that, it is not difficult to read dogs, to see the difference between a stray who just wants to be left alone, a stray who wants to play, and a pack of aggro dogs. just look at the eyes (there comes a certain shimmer when the get aggro), look at the tail and the ear, and look at the body language.

and if you are unlucky enough to encounter a pack of semidomesticated dogs there are ways to get rid of them without being harmed: first, take some small stones in your hand, when you are surrounded, throw one at a dog, so that it hurts. the slowly walk back where you came from, constantly looking behind. if a dog comes to close, move your hand as if you throw a stone. once a while throw one also to remind them. move slow, and you will see that as soon as you leave their designated territory they will stay away from you.

be careful to do any worse. if you are in a area you don't know, are not known, and seriously harm a dog, you might harm a dog some one loves a lot. there are a lot of doglovers here, and you might be in VERY serious shit if you seriously harm a dog (and i also do know some people who got into a bit of a situation because they thought they could get rid of their bad mood by kicking one of my dogs...:hubba:)

anyhow, i have lived here more than 11 years now. i have all over bangkok assorted strays i see on my rounds regularly. i have NEVER been bitten. i often come across the semidomesticated dogpacks, have had my problems, and have NEVER been bitten as well.

just learn to read dogs. they have their bodylanguage, even several dozen verbal languages (check in the net - there was research done on that).

anyhow, i will crawl back into my hole now, and stay there until someone else proposes to do bad things to dogs... :nono:

Guest lazyphil

I was chased in the mrs hood in bkk when I accidently walked near a jetty on the river thinking public area and two big domestic German Shepherds came after me....never ran so fast. Strays are usually scared of me!

anyhow, i will crawl back into my hole now, and stay there until someone else proposes to do bad things to dogs... :nono:

Actually I like dogs.... I had the chance to eat this twice, both times in Vietnam.... nothing special, tasts a bit like porc, all depends on the recipe.

BB

Is fly back ??? :cover:

Archived