World history in Thai schools?

Lusty

Is world history taught in Thai schools?The reason I ask this is I was watching a film about Hitler the other evening and teeruk had never heard of him!Same same of Napolean,Nelson Mandela etc etc::.

I read in a book sometime back that things that happen outside Thailand they are not concerned about.How true is this?Thanx

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's a book by Niels Mulder called Thai Images . A large part of it is a discussion of Thai textbooks dealing with social awareness from grade school through college.

Bottom line, it is dismal. It is not the least bit surprising that kids can grow up in Thailand and never hear of Hitler. It is not by accident that rich Thais send their kids to school overseas.

[color:"red"] Is world history taught in Thai schools?The reason I ask this is I was watching a film about Hitler the other evening and teeruk had never heard of him!Same same of Napolean,Nelson Mandela etc etc.

I read in a book sometime back that things that happen outside Thailand they are not concerned about.How true is this?Thanx

[/color]

They are taught (the last time I checked) in grade 8-12. If ones quit school before that or the kids before that age, they will not know. However, in my family, the Hitler was told by my father since I was in the 2 grade.

World history has never been a big thing with Thai schools, they concentrate more on long Thai history. I am surprised that many kids, especially from up-country cannot read a map when they are already in the mathayom, very sad. :) I asked a teacher (which I offended him) why becuase I knew that world geography was supposed to be taught. He said that not all schools can teach what is required because the kids are not ready, so an 7th grader in a school cannot be compared with the other who goes to a good school in BKK :( I find this very disturbing. That school did not even have a world map. ::

I went to school until the 10th grade up-country and my knowledge was as equal as the ones who were in School Triam Udom with me in BKK, there is something very wrong in the school system. I cannot write/talk about this without getting angry, sorry.

Jasmine

[color:"red"]My ten year old Thai son is not aware of some events and people i would have thought he would have known....

[/color]

He would not have been taught world history in school yet at that age. Hopefully he was taught and he could remember the Thai history. :D

Jasmine

Guest lazyphil

My Mrs admits as I do that school was boring, that said shes reads alot now and knows about Stalin, NATO, Ho Chi Min, Hitler, Napolean, Berlin Wall, all the continents and others, some she said she learnt in school in bkk and some in later life. bgs also get to talk to people from around the world and gleen stuff!!!

Hi,

"there is something very wrong in the school system."

Unfortunately I have to agree :(

Having some experience with kids learning (or more accurately *not* learning) up-country I can only conclude that the education there is abysmal. One could almost be inclined to think that maybe they are kept poor and ignorant on purpose.

I also just found out that kids need only 40/100 to pass, which I think is a fucking joke.

At least that is what my wife's son mentioned (the 40/100 to pass). Maybe different in other school?

Sanuk!

Archived