World history in Thai schools?

Lusty

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OUCH - OK I asked for that! Point is at least I try and teach her what a map is, she even understands in some vauge way were in Aus her granny lives!

Looking at Thais, and the fact there aren;t even good street maps in taxis ( a must in Aus, a Referdex or a "Gregories" if your from Sydney).

ii think they just have no idea, err like me and spelling

DOOG

[color:"red"] I also just found out that kids need only 40/100 to pass, which I think is a fucking joke.

[/color]

Really! Sad :( What are they thinking. :banghead:

[color:"red"] One could almost be inclined to think that maybe they are kept poor and ignorant on purpose.

[/color]

You may not be off target there. I have noticed (more now than I used to) that there are certain Thais who seem to want to keep up-country people suppressed, I just don't understand.

My brother does law cases with real up-country people a lot because he feels that they need the help most. Many of these people do not trust others who are more educated either and I cannot blame them for many of them are being taken advantaged of.

However, many lawyers do not want to take their cases either becuase they found them( like the Thai words say) "Ignorant but arrogant". My brother has wanted all his life to be able to help these people (he finally can do it since retiring from civil service in April), but some of them, he has been turning them down because of arrogancy, I find this very confusing myself. Also, my brother charges cheaper than other lawyers, many of them assume that he is not good, such logic!!!

Education is supposed to help people, but lowering standards will do harm more than anything else, IMO. However, I know also that many of these teachers are pressured to pass the kids or their career is in jeopardy :(

Jasmine

Hi,

"I have noticed (more now than I used to) that there are certain Thais who seem to want to keep up-country people suppressed, I just don't understand."

I do. Educated people are not content to live a subsistance wages. So, if the unedacted masses get educated, who will clean the homes and gardens of the rich? Who will chaffeur them around and wait on their becking call? Whose daughters will provide them with carnal pleasure for a small fee?

The educated rich are afraid that they will actually have to pay people a decent wage.

Being born in a blue-collar family myself, I am *extremely* gratefull that I had the chance to get all the education I wanted (spend 20 years in school). There is no greater gift one can give a child.

Sanuk!

Guest lazyphil

Lots of people are going to University in the UK now and I hear many English students for example cant even spell even with A grade A-levels. Also what has baffled me in Cambridge where I live when locals get drunk a have fights etc they're/we're thugs, when students do it they call it high spirits!!!!

Saiphon said:

There are a lot of kids here in the UK who have never heard of anyone from before the last decade. It's not just in LOS.

In the US, where I taught for some 25 years, I always included this extra credit question on one of my exams.

"What is the only country to have ever used nuclear weapons on a civilian population?"

Very few students answered correctly, with the US. Most would say "Russia"

khunsanuk said:

Hi,

"there is something very wrong in the school system."

Unfortunately I have to agree :(

Having some experience with kids learning (or more accurately *not* learning) up-country I can only conclude that the education there is abysmal. One could almost be inclined to think that maybe they are kept poor and ignorant on purpose.

I also just found out that kids need only 40/100 to pass, which I think is a fucking joke.

At least that is what my wife's son mentioned (the 40/100 to pass). Maybe different in other school?

Sanuk!

Sadly, where I work, 50 is the minimum passing grade.

As if that wasn't bad enough, students are not allowed to fail, i.e., if a student actually earns less than a 50, something/anything must be done to raise the grade to 50. This usually means simply adding points to make it a 50! :doh:

Ans, an "A" is 80 and above. That means that a kid working at what would be just above a high "C" level in the States is rewarded with an "A", the same as those who truly earn what an "A" should represent, which, in my school, is defined as "excellence".

Sure makes it easy to be the teacher (if you can get around the ethics issues).

Sure does a dis-service to the children.

[color:"red"] Also what has baffled me in Cambridge where I live when locals get drunk a have fights etc they're/we're thugs, when students do it they call it high spirits!!!!

[/color]

If you talked about the locals who are normally older than average students, they should be called "thugs", not that you know any, Phil. ::

There are always people who are willing to forgive the young college students, you know that.

On spelling, I promise you, there are more bad spellers everywhere. I do feel that the less you write the worse it gets, than old age is kicking in like my case :o

Jasmine

Ah, KK - I also have been slipping in a bit of world history to my primary school kids...

They know now that the cause of the Iraq conflict was the stockpiling of cheese by Saddam Hussein and that the Prime Minister of Great Britain is actually Spiderman (but we have to keep it secret.)

Archived