Sendin' the family: Las Vegas short takes...

Vegas short takes

We went to see the TI pirate show. Original pirate show was better, but this one has dancing tarts wearing thongs, in a boyz vs grrlz thing. A couple of the gals were even kinda good lookin'! Did have a good laugh at the exchange "Ahoy there!" "Who you calling a hoy?" It is actually funny if you speak Thai. Other than that, it was pretty vapid. Next...

While waiting for the pirate show to start, we wandered over to The Venetian Grand Canal Shoppes as it is pretty spectaular what with the canal and gondoliers and all. Kinda like the Empourium on steroids. At the front entrance, there was quite a commotion going on with red carpet and people wandering about looking important. It turned out that Ashley Judd was doing something at Venetian. #2 daughter (the model) was quite excited and struggling mightily to get a good view. #1 daughter tells me "Who cares? She is just a person like everyone else" when asked why she was not going crazy too. That's Daddy's girl. Proud of her! But Ashley Judd did look pretty hot and slinky in a nice clingy red dress...(it's always good being 6'3" tall!)

I finally submit to being drug to the Sahara to ride Speed, their roller coaster. Both back out at last minute. "Waaaa, na kua!" Damn, looked like fun too. No amount of goading could get #2, who was the biggest proponet up to this point, to get on. #1 said that if #2 was not going, neither was she. As usual, I could not win with a Thai female :dunno:. We did find a arcade and they had kewl old school stuff like Skee Ball and Air Hockey. I taught them how to play both. #1, who is a competiteve young gal, though she was hot stuff after I let her beat me two in a row. I had to school the youngster, telling her that the world is not a nice place LOL! Three in a row with the score 7-0 for Daddy! We had fun. She schooled me tho' on the basketball toss thingy with the moving backboard (Super Shots by the Skee Ball people). We were pretty even in Skee Ball. #2 was happily blowing $10 on that stupid claw crane thing trying to catch a candy bar or a stuffed toy. Of course she did not -- does anybody ever? And we all had fun with a modern day rip-off of Whack-a-Mole called Hit-the-Shark. I have got to get me one of those for my game room (an original W-a-M preferred if ya know of any lying around)...

We also did Mt. Charleston, Kyle & Lee Canyons. That is a nice less than one hour drive from Vegas. The elevation change is pretty dramatic, going from 2000' above sea-level to 9000'. It is always cool seeing the abrupt flora & fauna change at elevation and teaching the girls stuff that they have only read about. And seeing the color change of the fall foliage. They loved the coolness of the high elevation and spent half the trip perched on the top of the back seat of our little convertible like beauty queens in a parade.

Another great drive is Red Rocks Canyon (I like Calico Basin best) where one can find wild burros (maa-laa in Thai), decendants of those used by prospectors in the gold rush days. Only a 20 minute ride. The girls were suitable impressed and a whole 256Mb SD card was filled with pix. They want to go back and do some camping, so I am getting ready to borrow some gear from friends and spend some time showing them how to camp and cook food outdoors. Maybe some mini-lessons in rock climbing too.

I will have time as the Thai-LA consulate has still not gotten my passport back to me with my new visa. Oh well.

That's it for now,

SD

Guest lazyphil

Grand Canyon is a must do out in them there parts, awesome....impress Thais by telling them GC could swallow most of bkk up!

SD, why not take a ride up to southern Utah, I'm sure you know the area is beautiful, might be fun? (forget the Mormons though!)

Archived