Pattaya to close at 1 am

eyebee

Very sad news. I was hoping that Pattaya would be imune to the social order crackdown. That leaves me about 3 hours of drinking a night on average :(

Sure I can start my night a bit earlier but then I have to leave the beach or the pool ealier also :(

This sucks!

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Could be because

Suchada Tupchai

Chulalongkorn Day, October 23, is a national holiday and ceremonies will be performed throughout Thailand to mark the day that the great King passed away in the year 1910.

This year, since the holiday falls on a Saturday, banks, government offices and many businesses will be closed on Monday, October 25.

King Chulalongkorn was instrumental in modernizing the Kingdom of Thailand and is credited with many visionary accomplishments, including the establishment of the Council of State, setting up 12 different ministries which reorganized the government administrative system and the abolition of slavery.

King Chulalongkorn?s other ambitious achievements included establishing trade and diplomatic contact with foreign governments, and introducing revolutionary changes throughout the kingdom regarding police security, a postal system, hospitals, and railroads.

The great King also was instrumental in maintaining the nation?s sovereignty during a critical period in history when powerful nations were expanding their influence and colonizing neighboring countries.

Local ceremonies will be held at the Chulalongkorn monument in front of the Banglamung district offices. Hundreds of community representatives, business owners, students and press will be present to pay their respects to a great king.

I have to agree with LaoHutLi that this was long overdue if the government is really serious with it social order crusade or war on vice.

In Patong, Phuket, 1am closing is already strictly enforced so it was only a matter of time when the authorities will also enforce it in Pattaya.

However, I don?t think like many others that this is one of the normal crackdowns, which will fade out after a couple of weeks or months. It is part of the TRT policy to introduce midnight closure so expect that it will remain for a while before the next step (midnight closure) will be implemented.

The outcome of the looming closure of all entertainment facilities in Patong from October 26th, 2004 will be crucial for the future of Thailand?s nightlife as we know and love it. If the bar owners are united and can enforce the closing for 2, 3 or more weeks especially with a lot of restaurants participating and if the tourists really get pissed of with complaints and early departures, there might be hope of change. Otherwise, if only a few participate and it lasts only a few days, it won?t affect anything but robbed the entertainment industry of their last trump ace. I really hope they succeed, but am more the suspicious. The media, except the Phuket gazette, did not report at all about the last crackdowns (Radio city, Lucifer?). And such activity needs a lot of media and public support in order to succeed.

Nobody even well connected Thai colleagues/friends could tell the reason behind it. However, it is becoming clearer and clearer that the only master mind behind all this nonsense is Thaksin himself, no one else. Probably as his sex life has suffered severely, he wants no one else enjoying too. :dunno:

The only positive angle of this madness is we will soon know the REAL importance of nightlife to Pattaya as a tourist destination, which has been discussed and assumed in countless threats on this board.

Archived