Pattaya to close at 1 am

eyebee

On the passport issue. I still maintain it is not the law to carry your passport. But okay, let's just say to be on the safe side, you do start carrying it 24/7. Now, IS risking losing your passport a better option than a trip to jail? I have certain connections with the American Embassy, and I can tell you quite unambiguously that in my country's case, that it is just like that old saw about "Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me," in that if you lose your passport once, they'll assist you sympathetically, but lose it again, and they start wondering if maybe you're selling it on the black market.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, shit, and I thought you had the real dope on what those Toxin rascals were really up to! :( You do seem to possess an impressive knowledge of Thai politics though, my hat is off to you Sir. As I said, all I know is what I see in the bars and what I read on this board and between the lines in newspaper articles when it comes to politics.

?I am also not a member of Thaksin?s inner circle, but I do have the privilege of having a newspaper clipping from the 17 August 1997 edition of the Bangkok Post where a leading member of his inner circle, Khun Snoh Thienthong, offered some rather interesting advice on what Phuket needed to do boost tourism. Khun Snoh advised Phuket officials to spruce up massage parlours and hire younger masseuses to boost tourism.?

Hmmm? interesting stuff. The article you mention does seem a bit dated though; in fact I?d say the BKK P4P nightlife scene was near its apex around late 97. As you know, back then, the Post was even allowed to publish Trink?s weekly nightlife column detailing among other things, which gogos had the best girls and action ? yes things have indeed changed since then.

Never heard of this Snoh fellow before, but apparently the Phuket officials did not take his advice. Anyway, Thaksin wasn?t PM at the time and we all know how politicians and their yes men will make promises and say anything to get elected. As a good example - here in the states when Bush Jr. was running for president (the first time) he stated in a Playboy interview something to the effect that if he became president he would look into decriminalizing marijuana use!! Well, he must have changed his mind (some wonder if he has one) on that one...!! (KS, sorry if I violated a rule or two here, couldn?t resist a cheap shot at the lies and pandering politicians will resort to :o).

?I still haven?t quite figured out what the government?s strategy is here.?

I think it?s probably safe to say we can all agree on this one. :beer: And all this TRT stuff you mention is very informative and quite fascinating, but I?m afraid this level of Thai politics is way beyond my pea size brains comprehension. However, if what you say is true, it may very well be that these TRT social conservatives are the ones making policy ? at least in regards to the changes taking place relating to the nightlife crackdowns. Clearly though, the crackdowns and new social order came with the Thaksin administration.

I don?t see the current direction of change as a puritanical crusade - that?s a western concept. I?m convinced that the fishbowls, MP?s and gentlemen?s clubs, especially those oriented to Thai and upper class Asian only clientele will continue to thrive long after I?m gone - as it has long been an acceptable part of Asian culture. But the gogos and farang orientated P4P nightlife areas that exist today may be long gone by then.

?Like I said, there have been major changes. But at the same time, the number of bars, pubs and discos in Bangkok over the last few years has grown. Why? Because there is a tremendous amount of money in the industry?

If you are talking about the total number of bars, pubs, discos, etc. in BKK then maybe yes. But I?m not so sure if you restrict your count to the three major farang nightlife areas. What happened to Clinton Plaza and the bar stretch demolished near soi 10? And how about the Cowboy and NEP bars closed down regularly by police (most are temporary but closures are now regular).

Just make a bar run to these areas and tell me many are not in jeopardy of closing down due to lack of business? After a look see, consider what would happen should the operating hours be restricted to 9 pm till midnight? And I understand the beerbars near the corner of Asoke are the next on the chopping block. Also, I suspect the number of Patpong bars has decreased as well, although I can?t support any of what I have said here with solid numbers.

As for the money, yes many people will be wiped out, other business hurt badly, but for the people in power with real money ? like Thaksin, these losers are small fry and it seems increasingly clear that their sacrifice are a necessary, and acceptable consequence in achieving the goals of this new social order.

ST

Getting back to the main topic about Pattaya to close at 1 am - over the past couple of days I've received some information from a friend who lives there. He?s been seeing stuff on a local cable channel that initially said the early closing order came form the province governor?s office in Chon Buri. As you might expect, the proposed changes have caused quite a ruckus around town and Pattaya city hall is trying to convince the governor?s office to keep the official closing time at 2 am.

Apparently all the Pattaya local cable channels have been running banner adds in Thai urging affected business owners to contact city hall and raise hell. This all happened a couple days ago. I got another email from him today and yesterday there was more information on the TV and it now appears the ?directives? came out of Bangkok (surprise). And hang on there?s more...

Looks like they now have a plan to zone or split up Pattaya into four districts: one will allow bars to remain open till 2 am and on holidays till 6 am. A second will limit operating hours till 1 am, and still another district where they will be forced to close at midnight! Oh, and I saved the best for last ? the forth district will be alcohol free!!

At this time no one seems to know where the districts are, so everyone is closing at 1 am. Reckon some of the beerbars are pushing it a bit and still serving after 1am, but are turning the lights out.

And it doesn?t end there, sexy shows have now been outlawed as well, although some gogos are still showing for the time being relying on tea money to pay the cops to either stay away or give them advance warning of a raid.

It's starting to look like the sanuk scene in Pattaya may be hit even harder than what we have seen in BKK. :onfire:

ST

stumpdog said:

An alcohol free zone? Whatever next.

For a country where face is everything Thailand is looking completely stupid with so many up in arms over the closing time issue.

More amazing Thai wisdom?

Country alcohol free???

Seems the USA tried that around 193thies....

Good days for mafia and gansters....

I do hope the number of tourists will drop considerably next year though...

Archived