Pattaya to close at 1 am

eyebee

I would think that the biggest concern for most operations is not closing times...... but rather opening times.

If the proposed opening times of 6pm or 9pm are enforced ........ then it could well be he death nell for many if not most small operations. The economic ripples of this would be felt widely from the girls to beer distributors to landords, hotels, service people, tuk tuk drivers, even to the MiB.

Torrenova .......... have you heard any street rumours in this regard.?

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the misconception is IMO that this is about prostitution or nightlife.

IMO these are only minor (although not to sanukers) side effects of the real intent and goal.

rather like the piss heads on a cruise liner that is sinking complaining that the bar is closed because the crew is busy putting the lifeboats over the side.

few grasp what is really happening. Khun Taksin couldn't care about a few bars in Phuket or even Pattaya, these things are too small on his radar scope.

so not to worry Lusty, we'll all still be able to do our public 'walks of shame' for a long time to come.

?the misconception is IMO that this is about prostitution or nightlife?

IMO these are only minor (although not to sanukers) side effects of the real intent and goal?few grasp what is really happening. Khun Taksin couldn't care about a few bars in Phuket or even Pattaya, these things are too small on his radar scope.?

I beg to differ here, but as I do not have the privilege of being a member of Taksin?s inner circle, I don?t know what his real intentions are. Perhaps you would be kind enough to enlighten the rest of us as to his true intentions, since you seem to be in such a position?

I know what I see, and fail to understand how some veteran sanukers on this board seem blind and totally oblivious to the changes that have taken place over that past couple of years. How they can dismiss these changes as just temporary, and somehow convince themselves that there is no hidden agenda, and things will soon return to the ?good old days? with business as usual is beyond me.

To these folks I say dream on. The crackdowns including visa law changes, zoning, reduced operating hours, bar raids, greatly increased licensing fees, the end of the sex shows, no topless dancers, urine tests and passport checks in bars mostly conducted in the farang nightlife areas seems to point to a means to an end IMO.

And, I believe the desired end result will be the elimination of the farang P4P nightlife scene as we have known it in the past. BTW, wasn?t Taksin?s main campaign slogan something like: Thailand for Thais?

If they really wanted to check tourists for valid passports and visas wouldn?t it be more efficient to just stand outside the entrance of the Grand Palace or hotels frequented by tourists and check large numbers of farangs as they come and go?

Well, here?s my take: Taksin doesn?t much care for foreigners in general (with the possible exception of the very rich ones) and he doesn?t like his country having the reputation of being the world?s whorehouse. I suspect he is repulsed by the thought of lowlife sex tourists flocking to his country from all corners of the globe to fuck poor Thai women, and he is hell bent on ending it.

I believe the primary objective of the crackdowns is to gradually drive the owners of the gogos and bars that support farang P4P nightlife out of business. I admit at times the raids and methods used by the police and other agencies may seem counterproductive and ill planned, but this is nothing new when it comes to bureaucrats enforcing poorly thought out policy. Still, what started in BKK has spread to Phuket and now threatens Pattaya - that last haven that many believed would remain untouchable for many years to come.

I honestly hope I?ve got it all wrong and Taksin and his reign will be gone with the next election and everything will return to the way it was five or six years ago. Problem is I just don?t see that in the cards.

ST

I don't think the typical overstayer would be visiting the Grand Palace a lot! :)

I'm not sure if Thaksin does have a particular puritanical dislike of the scene - as always, it's hard to tell how much is 'show' simply playing to the Thai public. What he certainly does care about is his own power, prestige and money.

He probably won't lose this election but, if he continues present policies, the bubble should soon burst and he won't last another term after that, fingers crossed. So, maybe 4 more years in the wilderness. :(

LaoHuLi said:

I would think that the biggest concern for most operations is not closing times...... but rather opening times.

If the proposed opening times of 6pm or 9pm are enforced ........ then it could well be he death nell for many if not most small operations. The economic ripples of this would be felt widely from the girls to beer distributors to landords, hotels, service people, tuk tuk drivers, even to the MiB.

Torrenova .......... have you heard any street rumours in this regard.?

I don't have any opening time issues (at present !) and can open whenever I want. I suppose though that is not strictly true as if it were, i could just open at 02:05am :D

A few months ago, they were supposed to be banning the go-gos which had traditionally opened in the daytime from doing so, TQ being the first one which springs to mind. I think this did occur for a while and then things went back to normal.

During Cobra Gold, I've seen us open at 8/9am and never had any problems. But then, I've always closed late (after 2am) and never had any problems either.

Irrespective of whether I can open all day, the problem is losing (if we do) the 1am to 2am trade and the post 2am trade (which for us is limited anyway). Currently, we have music off at 1am and close at 2am. No police around in the last few days but we're not risking staying open past 2am at present and to be honest, there aren't sufficient customers to warrant it. The problem with early closing will become more pronounced if it continues or worsens in the post November peak season.

I believe the primary objective of the crackdowns is to gradually drive the owners of the gogos and bars that support farang P4P nightlife out of business.

Agree that is one of primary objectives .......... now why do you think he wants to do that?

?I don't think the typical overstayer would be visiting the Grand Palace a lot!?

Yes, I agree, you got me on that one and same would probably hold true for all but the cheapest hotels. :doah:

I can?t keep up with Thai politics, so can?t say what Toxins chances are for reelection, but it?s been my impression his chances are good - after all he is the richest man in Thailand.

However, I got an email this morning from a friend living in Pattaya and apparently Toxin may be getting desperate. Offering the poor (Issan) more crazy programs and now his 30 baht health care program is already bankrupt with three hospitals alone owed over one billion baht, which they will probably never see. So it sounds like he is at least getting some heat now. I sure hope so, dumping his sorry ass is probably our only hope for survival of the farang nightlife scene.

Also in my mailbox this morning was an email from a bargirl I know who works Tilac gogo in Cowboy. The usual stuff here: love you, miss you too much, papa sick, no money, no customer, no one now to take care of her kid - blah, blah, blah... But reading between the lines it sure sounds like business there has taken a turn for the worse... :(

ST

Eyebee,

We actually have 2 bars now. The main one is called "Easy Bar 17" and is in the Siren boxing complex just before the beginning of Walking Street, opposite the foot massage place before the cars turn up towards 2nd Road when the gates are shut.

Facing the complex, enter on left next to the travel agent and Marilyn a go-go. Walk in about 5 metres and we are the first bar on the left hand side. The second bar is called ?I?m Easy Too? and is next to the original.

My business partner is called Kevin and he will be around if I'm not. I?m in London at the moment but will get back into Thailand around the second week in November.

If you fancy it, drop by anytime and we'll sink a couple.

Regards

Archived