'He speaks Thai'

khunsanuk

In that situation I may simply apologise in Thai, mentioning that I only studied Thai for about 8 weeks -- and then ask them how many years they studied English in school. :D

p.s. You really need to learn to read to pronounce properly. Get something like Benjawan Becker's Thai language books. Thai isn't hard to read -- but is to write!

When my reading got better, I was amazed to see how the Peace Corps Thai language teachers had let us get by with some very bad pronunciations. (It also showed me that a colleague who was so proud of his Thai actually butchered quite a few words. )

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<< What is "transparency" in Thai? >>

In the political sense, I don't think there is such a term. There are words like SAI (rising) that mean clear, as in see through. But I can't even find any political meaning in the dictionary. There is probably an idiom, but I'll have to ask somebody.

Although Andrew Biggs has a great Thai vocabulary and can converse very well on the subject at hand, he "poot pasa thai mai kheuy chat towray". What I mean is over the ophone oen would immediately know he not a native speaker.

Oran,

I understand you are more qualified than most to speak on this subject.

However, saying that Andrew "poot pasa thai mai kheuy chat towray" is not the same as saying "over the ophone oen (over the phone one ?)would immediately know he not a native speaker"

All the Thais I know are suitably impressed with his proficiency in their native tongue. Also I believe he has been awarded some kind of "rangwan" from the Thai government in relation to his language skills.

Maybe he pipped you at the post for that presenters job......... ;)

Cheers,

INTJ

Archived