'He speaks Thai'

khunsanuk

Hi,

I recently started working in my old office again, but by now several new people had been hired as well to which I was introduced.

So far very normal obviously, however the Thais in the office always made a point out of it to mention that I speak Thai. And I have noticed on many other occassions as well; as soon as I am introduced to a new person the fact that I speak Thai is mentioned.

Always wondered whether this is because they think it is great, or to warn the other person not to say anything that might embarres.

Thoughts?

Sanuk!

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

KS,

I think it's done with positive intentions only.

In order to promote communication within the team with you being the farang and therefore won't be excluded in any way by the new person who might assume you're one of the many farangs who can't speak their lingo.

it can be both; an additional reason could be to encourage the other staff to talk to you (which will be easy for them as you understand Thai); otherwise many thais are too shy to speak english so they would never start a conversation with a farang, of whom they are now sure whether he understands thai.

in many offices majority of the thai staff do not talk with the farangs!

Hi,

I recently started boozing heavily :drunk: in my old local The Swiller's Arms, Burslem, again after being barred one lunchtime 2 weeks ago for urinating into the fruit machine payout slot, whilst a female old-aged pensioner :clown: was still playing the machine, but by now several new barstaff had been hired to which I was introduced. :hug:

So far very normal obviously, :up: however the older bar staff in the pub always made a point out of it to mention that I am a drunken no-good cunt. :( And I have noticed on many other occassions as well (when meeting my ex-wife's :down: divorce lawyer, or my new parole officer, for example); as soon as I am introduced to a new person the fact that I am a rotten, foul-mouthed, useless piss-artist is mentioned. :doah:

Always wondered whether this is because they think it is great, or to warn the other person not to lend me any money or say anything that might embarrass. :)

Thoughts? :beer:

Sanuk!

jack :help:

I think it's a positive sign. I know that many times Thais will shy away from me for fear that I will try to speak English to them and they'd be embarrassed when they can't understand or reply. Once they know I speak Thai, they can relax and speak to me when they feel like it.

On the other hand, it can also be something of a warning. It means "Watch what you are gossiping about, because the Farang will understand you."

p.s. In the bars, I've found that speaking Thai tends to drive away the mercenary BGs. It shows right away that you are not a newbie they can rip off. Most BGs are happy to find somebody they can talk to, and many a time I've been a shoulder to cry on as they told me their troubles. But the greedy BGs will quickly dump you as soon as you begin to speak fairly fluent Thai to them. A dancer in Nana once approached me with her hand extended, greeting me in BG English. I responded in Thai -- and the gal literally spun on her heels in her haste to get away from me. :)

Flashermac said:A dancer in Nana once approached me with her hand extended, greeting me in BG English. I responded in Thai -- and the gal literally spun on her heels in her haste to get away from me. :)

That's interesting. :) I had a similar experience last time I met an old regular of mine :hubba: ? streetname "Jip": top dental plate missing, gammy leg, and a home-done tattoo round her arsehole reading "Daddy Drinks Because You Cry" ? in Soi 7 beergarden one morning in April. :beer:

She approached me with her hand extended, greeting me in BG English. I responded in Drunkish -- and the gal literally spun on her heels in her haste to get away from me. :o Then fell flat on her face, knocking 3 bottom teeth out and busting her nose. :( Turned out she'd drunk 10 bacardi breezers and a bottle of brandy and been on the yaa-baa since daybreak. :drunk:

jack :help:

Archived